The rtopo2 function plots Antarctic data from RTopo-2 (Schaffer et al. 2016, see reference below) in projected polar stereographic coordinates.
rtopo2(dataset) rtopo2(...,PropertyName,PropertyValue,...) rtopo2(...,'km') h = rtopo2(...)
rtopo2(dataset) plots any of the RTopo-2 datasets in a polar stereographic map. The dataset can be any of the following:
- 'coast' this is equivalent to the grounding line in many other datasets.
- 'isf' ice shelf front, what some might call the coast line.
- 'bed' bed elevations relative to the geoid.
- 'base' ice base elevations relative to the geoid.
- 'surface' ice surface elevations relative to the geoid.
- 'wct' water column thickness taken as base-bed.
- 'mask' mask values numbered 0 through 3 as described below.
- 'sourcedraft' source of ice draft data as described below.
- 'sourcebathy' source of elevation data as described below.
rtopo2(...,PropertyName,PropertyValue,...) formats coast lines with marker properties.
rtopo2(...,'km') plots in polar stereographic kilometers rather than meters.
h = rtopo2(...) returns a handle of the plotted object.
- 0. ocean
- 1. grounded ice
- 2. floating ice
- 3. bare land
Data source values:
- World Ocean bathymetry GEBCO_2014 (Weatherall et al., 2015)
- Southern Ocean bathymetry IBCSO (Arndt et al., 2013)
- Arctic Ocean bathymetry IBCAOv3 (Jakobsson et al., 2012)
- Antarctic ice sheet/shelf surface height Bedmap2 and thickness and bedrock topography (Fretwell et al., 2013)
- Greenland ice sheet/glacier surface height Morlighem et al. (2014) (M-2014) and thickness and bedrock topography
- Fjord and shelf bathymetry close to the Bamber et al. (2013) (B-2013) Greenland coast
- Bathymetry on Northeast Greenland Arndt et al. (2015) (NEG_DBM) continental shelf
- Bathymetry in several narrow Greenland fjords artificial, see Merging strategy and Data and on parts of the Greenland continental shelf corrections in Sect. 2.2.3 for details
- Bathymetry for Getz and western Abbot Ice ALBMAP (Le Brocq et al., 2010) Shelf cavities
- Bathymetry for Fimbulisen cavity Nøst (2004), Smedsrud et al. (2006)
- Ice thickness for Nioghalvfjerdsfjorden Glacier DTU (Seroussi et al., 2011) and Zachariæ Isstrøm Operation Icebridge (Allen et al., 2010, updated 2015) Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI) Mayer et al. (2000)
- Contour of iceberg A-23A in Weddell Sea Paul et al. (2015)
Because the RTopo-2 dataset is so large, the rtopo2 function requires a map to be initialized before plotting. It's a way of forcing a small region.
mapzoomps('george vi ice shelf','mapwidth',1000,'inset','ne') rtopo2('bed') rtopo2('coast','color','k') scalebarps shadem(3)
If you use this dataset and Antarctic Mapping Tools, please cite the following:
Schaffer, Janin; Timmermann, Ralph; Arndt, Jan Erik; Kristensen, Steen Savstrup; Mayer, Christoph; Morlighem, Mathieu; Steinhage, Daniel (2016): A global, high-resolution data set of ice sheet topography, cavity geometry, and ocean bathymetry. Earth System Science Data, 8(2), 543-557, doi:10.5194/essd-8-543-2016 and doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.856844
Greene, C.A., Gwyther, D.E. and Blankenship, D.D., 2016. Antarctic Mapping Tools for Matlab. Computers & Geosciences. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2016.08.003
The RTopo-2 Matlab functions and supporting documentation were written by Chad A. Greene of the University of Texas at Austin, November 2016.