Projector Controller Testing Using verify and Real-Time Tests
Perform real-time testing on a target computer and verify system behavior against requirements. Copyright 2016 The MathWorks, Inc.
This example demonstrates testing a projector control system using model simulation and real-time execution on a target computer. The tests verify the controller against its requirements using test sequences that exercise the top-level controller model. The controller uses a push button input and a temperature sensor input, and outputs signals controlling the fan, fan speed, and projector lamp.
This example uses Simulink® Real-Time™. Before beginning, review the Simulink Real-Time system requirements. This example also uses a requirements document in Microsoft® Word format.
Set the model and path names for the example:
filePath = fullfile(matlabroot,'toolbox','simulinktest','simulinktestdemos'); testFile = 'sltestProjectorCtrlTests.mldatx'; testHarness = 'Req_scenario_4'; model = 'sltestProjectorController';
Open the model:
View Requirements Links
The model, test harnesses, test sequences, and test suites link to functional requirements specified in sltestProjectorCtrlReqs.docx. Highlight requirements in the test harness and test sequence editor to view the linked items.
Open the Test File and Configure the Real-Time Target Computer
Open the test file by entering:
The test file contains two test suites, each of which tests four scenarios. One suite simulates the model, while the second executes tests on a real-time target computer. The test harnesses use a linked Test Assessment block which tests high-level requirements. Before running the example:
- Configure your target computer using the Simulink Real-Time Explorer.
- Connect to your target computer.
- If your target computer is not the default target, update Target Computer in each test case's System Under Test section.
For more information on real-time configuration see Setup and Configuration in Simulink® Real-Time™.
Run the Model Simulation Tests
Run the model simulation test suite. After simulation completes, click the Results and Artifacts pane in the test manager.
Expand the Req_scenario_4 results and expand the Verify Statements section. The verify statements demonstrate fail, pass, and untested results:
- The controller does not operate in high-temperature or overheat mode, so the associated verify statements are untested.
- The controller passes the requirement that if the lamp is on, the fan is also on: verify_lamp_implies_fan.
- The controller passes the test that the system stays off if the on_off button is pressed when the temperature is above a limit: verify_sc4_on.
- The controller fails the test that the system shuts off if the on_off button is pressed when the temperature is above a limit: verify_sc4_off. Resolving this failure requires modifying the OnOff Check subsystem in the main model.
For more information, see Assess Simulation Using Logical Statements.
Select the verify_sc4_off and verify_lamp_implies_fan results to visualize the verify statement results.
Execute the Real-Time Tests and Review the Results
The real-time test suite verifies that real-time execution results match model simulation results, and that the verify statements pass. The test harnesses log data using file scopes.
Set the current working directory to a writable directory. In the test manager, run the real-time test suite.
The Baseline Criteria Result section shows comparisons of real-time logged data to data captured from the model simulation. The results are identical.
The Verify Statements section shows similar results to the model simulation.
close_system(model,0) sltest.testmanager.clear; sltest.testmanager.clearResults; clear filePath testFile testHarness model;