To resolve issues starting MATLAB on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) visit: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/159016
When did STRNCMP change its behaviour?
strncmp('asd', 'qwe', 0) % >> 0
strncmp('asd', 'qwe', 0) % >> 1
And in general: What is an efficient way to determine the release, when a function was changed?
[EDITED] 30-Sep-2011, 06:48 UTC
strncmp('a', 'a', 2) % >> 0
strncmp('a', 'a', 2) % >> 1
There are good arguments for the one and the other reply. But there are no good arguments for changing the behaviour of such elementary functions. It affects about 40.000 lines of my code, which directly and indirectly depends on the replied values.
I'm trying to migrate from 2009a to 2011b and this first problem stopped the tests after 3 minutes only. And there is no really convenient way to find a description when and why STRNCMP has changed. Even the bug-report is misleading:
STRNCMP and STRNCMPI return FALSE when comparing cell arrays and considering 0 characters (i.e., with the third input set to zero).
No, it does not concern only cell arrays, but CHAR vectors also.
No products are associated with this question.
Hi Jan, This was a bug fixed in R2010b
Hope that helps, Wayne
On the topic of history, I've requested this as an enhancement multiple times. When I wrote to the Mathworks to ask whether I could get a complete change history of a particular function (in my case, minor updates to datetick that hadn't made the release notes were affecting my code), I was told that the best way to check this was to look at the Revision line in the m-file itself.
Of course, this is only possible if you actually own all releases. I don't, but the Mathworks of does. Assuming they don't already have a centralized database of change histories for all functions, it seems to me it would be a relatively simple endeavor to write a simple file parser that reads out the revision line from each function in each release. Then users could get a clear idea of when each function was introduced, when others were phased out, and when both major and minor changes were made.
The only "efficient" way I have found to identify changes is to request searching an older release, and then edit the URL to move between different versions. :(
I'll be looking through the beta Documentation Center