I have taken abfload, and am in the process of updating it for abf 2.0 file formats... so far I have gap free recording working, but haven't finished the other modes.. though they shouldn't be too hard. I would welcome people auditing the code.. i have attached in comments the information from the C file from axon I used to help decode the header information. You can get the C code yourself here
the original abfload can be found here
This is still a work in progress.
Harold Hentschke, the original author of abfload fixed a couple bugs and cleaned up the code, and i am updating this version to include his changes which are:
- fixed a bug regarding the fADCSampleInterval being incorrectly set
- restructured the code so it's easier to see which portions deal with which ABF version
- incorporated all accessory functions as subfunctions
- changed the number type of 'fFileVersionNumber' back to floating point
- updated the copyright note
Further updates from Forrest Collman:
-added support for reading in tags, both in abf 1.0 and 2.0 format
-fixed bug associated with reading in files created in axoscope.
-fixed a bug with my tag support, i had assumed there were tags to be read, should work now on either.
---updates from Harold (06/2011)
- in the precursor version (abfload) there was a potential problem in the gap-free reading mode: in exceedingly rare cases an error resulted when reading data, namely when division of the number of points by 'chunkPtsPerChan' (see input variable 'chunk') left no remainder
- abfload would only recognize abf files recorded from some of the Axon/MolDev programs (clampex & axoscope). This was due to an incomplete list of programs listed in variable 'progString'. abfload should now read data produced by clampex, clampfit, axoscope and patchxpress
- changes to the tag section which hopefully cover all of the reported problems
- some restructuring of code for better oversight and/or in conjunction with bug fixes, modified comments
- data in 'high-speed oscilloscope' mode can now be read (in addition to the two other waveform fixed-length modes)
- right below H1 there is a 'PROBLEM CASE REPORTS' paragraph in which very specific, as yet unresolved problems with abfload (and recording abf files in general) are listed, which may help resolve related issues