@Yoav L--No "quick fix" for that. The save_matproj function saves matprojData.workingDir as "pwd"; even more complicated, each filename of the mfiles open in the editor is saved as a fully-qualified filename, so you'd have to deal with that issue, too.
One solution I can think of would be to add two additional input arguments: one would contain the portion of the absolute pathname that you want to ignore (e.g., '/home/kevin/myProjectsDir/'); the second would contain the string you'd want to replace that portion of the pathname with (e.g., '../../'). In the code, then, the substitution would change (for example) '/home/kevin/myProjectsDir/todaysProject/myNiceMfile.m' to '../../todaysProject/myNiceMfile.m'.
Another alternative would be to work on the level of the operating system. You could use symbolic links if you're running on a Unix/Mac system or the Microsoft equivalent, if such a thing exists in Windows.
Very useful submission!
I am trying to modify it a bit so it can handle relative paths, making it possible to switch projects on different computers from a shared folder (that might have a different absolute path). any suggestions for quick fixes?
I often have many files open at the same time and it is very convenient to be able to switch between sets of files. matproj works well.
However, some days ago matproj caused me some trouble. This is what happened.
Background: I've used R2012a until recently. Matlab was first updated to R2012b, which I didn't use because of ribbon-phobia. Now, Matlab is updated to R2013a, which I use because some bugs are fixed.
Incident: Without too much thinking, I loaded an old "project" with matproj and I was instantly in trouble. The path to the R2013a installation was replaced by the path to R2012a. For me that was no big problem once I realized what had happened.
Proposal: Modify matproj so that it does not affect the path to Matlab proper.