Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
How Do You Download Free Student Version?

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Bryan Crowe

Date: 27 Sep, 1999 19:54:57

Message: 1 of 9

I was advised by my CSE 131 TA that the Student Version of Matlab was
available for free download.

We were told to ask DECS Help Desk for details on how to do it.

The person working was unable to answer my question.

So how do you download Matlab Student Version?

BRYAN

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: fmattes@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Dr F Mattes)

Date: 28 Sep, 1999 16:25:25

Message: 2 of 9

[Posted and mailed]

I don't think the student version of MatLab is free. The price
is 99 USD for MatLab 5.3 (PC win, linux).
You have to buy it from Prentice Hall outside the USA

Frank

In article <7sp0cb$t3b$1@msunews.cl.msu.edu>,
"Bryan Crowe" <crowebry@msu.edu> writes:
> I was advised by my CSE 131 TA that the Student Version of Matlab was
> available for free download.
>
> We were told to ask DECS Help Desk for details on how to do it.
>
> The person working was unable to answer my question.
>
> So how do you download Matlab Student Version?
>
> BRYAN
>
>

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Nabeel

Date: 28 Sep, 1999 17:11:31

Message: 3 of 9

Hi Bryan,

The Student Version of MATLAB isn't free, but you can order it from us.
Visit:

http://www.mathworks.com/products/studentversion/

for more information.

good luck!

Nabeel


Bryan Crowe wrote:
>
> I was advised by my CSE 131 TA that the Student Version of Matlab was
> available for free download.
>
> We were told to ask DECS Help Desk for details on how to do it.
>
> The person working was unable to answer my question.
>
> So how do you download Matlab Student Version?
>
> BRYAN

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Hans-Marc Erkinger

Date: 29 Sep, 1999 20:15:17

Message: 4 of 9

Could you please explain me, why you only sell it to US and Canadian
students???
Why should I buy the Prentice Hall edition for the same price, when
it is limited?

European students seem to be treated like second class persons.

Hans-Marc Erkinger, an angry student from Austria.

P.S.: with this kind of selling you just force students outside
the US/Canada to use illegal software. So they will contact these
persons who "sell" Matlab-CDs for 30 $ (as advertised in this
newsgroup).

I do not think that this is reasonable.



Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Ralf Bathel

Date: 1 Oct, 1999 01:19:15

Message: 5 of 9


----- Original Message -----
From: Nabeel <nabeel@mathworks.com>
Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.matlab
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: How Do You Download Free Student Version?


> Hi Bryan,
>
> The Student Version of MATLAB isn't free, but you can order it from us.
> Visit:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/products/studentversion/
>


Hi all,

according to the this i want to ask if anyone in the United States or Canada
would buy the unlimited student edition for me and send it to me. I'm a
German student and i can't see why i should work with that limited Prentice
Hall stuff. Hans Marc Erkinger is right. Who makes that sales politic at The
Mathworks???
Please mail to ralf.bathel@fernuni-hagen.de

Many thanks from an angry student

Ralf

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Shahbaz Javeed

Date: 8 Dec, 1999 21:41:45

Message: 6 of 9

I agree with this totally. Software, specially that which is used in
educational institutions shouldnt be priced so high as to be
unaffordable nor should it be modified according to the type of
educational institution it is going to. Such behaviour will most
certainly encourage software piracy.

-Shahbaz

<snip>
> P.S.: with this kind of selling you just force students outside
> the US/Canada to use illegal software. So they will contact these
> persons who "sell" Matlab-CDs for 30 $ (as advertised in this
> newsgroup).
<snip>

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Gurnam Singh

Date: 31 Jul, 2011 17:34:10

Message: 7 of 9

To mitigate the genuine problem of students world over, Mathworls Inc should ape the practice of providing Free CD with a Student-Edition book on MATLAB/SIMULINK (Prentice-Hall may be) as is done by Cadence for free CD on PSPICE with a Book authored by Dr Rashid (Prentice-Hall of India /Pearson publication)....
-Faculty
Shahbaz Javeed <sjaveed@nschool.com> wrote in message <384ED0C5.57D70C2C@nschool.com>...
> I agree with this totally. Software, specially that which is used in
> educational institutions shouldnt be priced so high as to be
> unaffordable nor should it be modified according to the type of
> educational institution it is going to. Such behaviour will most
> certainly encourage software piracy.
>
> -Shahbaz
>
> <snip>
> > P.S.: with this kind of selling you just force students outside
> > the US/Canada to use illegal software. So they will contact these
> > persons who "sell" Matlab-CDs for 30 $ (as advertised in this
> > newsgroup).
> <snip>

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Wayne King

Date: 31 Jul, 2011 18:05:29

Message: 8 of 9

Hans-Marc Erkinger <erkinger@my-deja.com> wrote in message <7sts07$kk2$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> Could you please explain me, why you only sell it to US and Canadian
> students???
> Why should I buy the Prentice Hall edition for the same price, when
> it is limited?
>
> European students seem to be treated like second class persons.
>
> Hans-Marc Erkinger, an angry student from Austria.
>
> P.S.: with this kind of selling you just force students outside
> the US/Canada to use illegal software. So they will contact these
> persons who "sell" Matlab-CDs for 30 $ (as advertised in this
> newsgroup).
>
> I do not think that this is reasonable.
>
>
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi Hans-Marc, Where did you see that only U.S-Canadian students can obtain the MATLAB student edition? And I'm not sure what Prentice-Hall provides, but why would you want to obtain MATLAB version 5?

Have you read the FAQ on Mathworks' site for the student edition?

Wayne

Subject: How Do You Download Free Student Version?

From: Wayne King

Date: 31 Jul, 2011 18:25:31

Message: 9 of 9

Shahbaz Javeed <sjaveed@nschool.com> wrote in message <384ED0C5.57D70C2C@nschool.com>...
> I agree with this totally. Software, specially that which is used in
> educational institutions shouldnt be priced so high as to be
> unaffordable nor should it be modified according to the type of
> educational institution it is going to. Such behaviour will most
> certainly encourage software piracy.
>
> -Shahbaz
>
> <snip>
> > P.S.: with this kind of selling you just force students outside
> > the US/Canada to use illegal software. So they will contact these
> > persons who "sell" Matlab-CDs for 30 $ (as advertised in this
> > newsgroup).
> <snip>

Hi List, My apologies! I did not realize that Shahbaz had resurrected a thread from 1999.
Sorry for the spam.

Wayne

Tags for this Thread

No tags are associated with this thread.

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us