Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
ugly ls command in linux

Subject: ugly ls command in linux

From: Diego Torquemada

Date: 14 Sep, 2007 08:11:14

Message: 1 of 3

Hello...

is there any way to make the ls work nicely?

I am getting for example the following output in the graphical mode:


>> ls
emd_fmsin.m emd_sampling.m
emd_separation.m emd_triang.m
ex_online.m triangular_signal.m



while the output dir command is more easy to read
>> dir

. emd_fmsin.m emd_separation.m
ex_online.m
.=2E emd_sampling.m emd_triang.m
triangular_signal.m



if I run in matlab textmode (matlab -nojvm) the output is nice and
looks like the original ls command.


Thanks,

Diego

Subject: ugly ls command in linux

From: roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson)

Date: 14 Sep, 2007 22:07:30

Message: 2 of 3

In article <1189757474.151383.207960@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
Diego Torquemada <diegotorquemada@gmail.com> wrote:

>is there any way to make the ls work nicely?

>I am getting for example the following output in the graphical mode:

>>> ls
>emd_fmsin.m emd_sampling.m
>emd_separation.m emd_triang.m
>ex_online.m triangular_signal.m
>

Unfortunately you have encountered the GNU or BSD colourized 'ls'.
Try using ls --color=none
If that works, then you have several options:

- reconfigure the colour options to turn off coloring completely
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/Colour-ls

- somewhere in your login or shell startup sequence, you are setting
an alias of alias ls="ls --color=SOMETHINGOROTHER" .
Find that alias and squash it (this would take effect the next
time you log in)

- find the ls binary and invoke it directly, such as /bin/ls

- "escape" the ls to prevent it from having its alias expanded. Try

\ls or \\ls

--
Programming is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Subject: ugly ls command in linux

From: Diego Torquemada

Date: 17 Sep, 2007 09:27:41

Message: 3 of 3

On Sep 15, 12:07 am, rober...@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson)
wrote:
> In article <1189757474.151383.207...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
> Diego Torquemada <diegotorquem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >is there any way to make the ls work nicely?
> >I am getting for example the following output in the graphical mode:
> >>> ls
> > [00m [00memd_fmsin.m [00m [00memd_sampling.m [00m
> > [00memd_separation.m [00m [00memd_triang.m [00m
> > [00mex_online.m [00m [00mtriangular_signal.m [00m
> > [m
>
> Unfortunately you have encountered the GNU or BSD colourized 'ls'.
> Try using ls --color=none

Thanks! this worked!


> If that works, then you have several options:
>
> - reconfigure the colour options to turn off coloring completelyhttp://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/Colour-ls
>
> - somewhere in your login or shell startup sequence, you are setting
> an alias of alias ls="ls --color=SOMETHINGOROTHER" .
> Find that alias and squash it (this would take effect the next
> time you log in)
>
> - find the ls binary and invoke it directly, such as /bin/ls
>
> - "escape" the ls to prevent it from having its alias expanded. Try
>
> \ls or \\ls
>
> --
> Programming is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Tags for this Thread

No tags are associated with this thread.

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us