Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
Which programming language should be used for image processing???

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: mohit108agarwal@gmail.com

Date: 24 Jan, 2008 18:52:10

Message: 1 of 8

I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for the blind". The
task of the project is to capture images from the webcam and to
process the image and extract useful objects from the images.The
object extracted will be compared to the objects defined in the
database and the appropriate objects audio will be the o/p to the
blind which will help as a navigation tool to the blind.
Now my quetion is that which programming language will the most
efficient to use?
Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.Any one having any
idea as to how to implement the project will be a great help for us.
Thank you

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: Rune Allnor

Date: 24 Jan, 2008 19:07:19

Message: 2 of 8

On 24 Jan, 19:52, mohit108agar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for the blind". The
> task of the project is to capture images from the webcam and to
> process the image and extract useful objects from the images.The
> object extracted will be compared to the objects defined in the
> database and the appropriate objects audio will be the o/p to the
> blind which will help as a navigation tool to the blind.
> Now my quetion is that which programming language will the most
> efficient to use?

Use the language you are most proficient and comfortable with.
I would be surprised if run-time efficiency will be the main
obstacle in your efforts; making the object recognition system
work will be no trivial task unless you use very simple test
images.

> Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.

Check the Matlab API documentation.

Rune

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: Vihang Patil

Date: 24 Jan, 2008 19:16:17

Message: 3 of 8

mohit108agarwal@gmail.com wrote in message
<962843d7-048a-44cb-a0ee-62d0eb20c062@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>...
> I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for the
blind". The
> task of the project is to capture images from the webcam
and to
> process the image and extract useful objects from the
images.The
> object extracted will be compared to the objects defined
in the
> database and the appropriate objects audio will be the o/p
to the
> blind which will help as a navigation tool to the blind.
> Now my quetion is that which programming language will the
most
> efficient to use?
> Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.Any one
having any
> idea as to how to implement the project will be a great
help for us.
> Thank you


Matlab is good for image processing but slow
You can do simulation in matlab and probably code in C++ or
other languages

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: Ian Clarkson

Date: 24 Jan, 2008 19:59:02

Message: 4 of 8

"Vihang Patil" <vihang_patil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<fnao61$730$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> mohit108agarwal@gmail.com wrote in message
> <962843d7-048a-44cb-a0ee-
62d0eb20c062@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>...
> > I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for the
> blind". The
> > task of the project is to capture images from the webcam
> and to
> > process the image and extract useful objects from the
> images.The
> > object extracted will be compared to the objects defined
> in the
> > database and the appropriate objects audio will be the
o/p
> to the
> > blind which will help as a navigation tool to the blind.
> > Now my quetion is that which programming language will
the
> most
> > efficient to use?
> > Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.Any
one
> having any
> > idea as to how to implement the project will be a great
> help for us.
> > Thank you
>
>
> Matlab is good for image processing but slow
> You can do simulation in matlab and probably code in C++
or
> other languages
>

check out Intel's OpenCV library. it's free and very fast.

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: Dave Robinson

Date: 25 Jan, 2008 09:46:02

Message: 5 of 8

"Ian Clarkson" <ian.clarkson@gesturetek.com> wrote in
message <fnaqm6$htp$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Vihang Patil" <vihang_patil@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <fnao61$730$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > mohit108agarwal@gmail.com wrote in message
> > <962843d7-048a-44cb-a0ee-
> 62d0eb20c062@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>...
> > > I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for
the
> > blind". The
> > > task of the project is to capture images from the
webcam
> > and to
> > > process the image and extract useful objects from the
> > images.The
> > > object extracted will be compared to the objects
defined
> > in the
> > > database and the appropriate objects audio will be
the
> o/p
> > to the
> > > blind which will help as a navigation tool to the
blind.
> > > Now my quetion is that which programming language
will
> the
> > most
> > > efficient to use?
> > > Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.Any
> one
> > having any
> > > idea as to how to implement the project will be a
great
> > help for us.
> > > Thank you
> >
> >
> > Matlab is good for image processing but slow
> > You can do simulation in matlab and probably code in
C++
> or
> > other languages
> >
>
> check out Intel's OpenCV library. it's free and very fast.

If you are intending to use an Intel processor (e.g.
Pentium class device), then in addition to the OpenCV
library look to use the Intel rather than the Microsoft
compiler. I understand that it can be integrated into
Microsoft Visual studio environment. It is excellent at
optimizing the code to use the SIMD and MMX facilities in
the CPU which has a tremendous effect on the execution
performance of many CV algorithms.

If you intend using an ARM or something in a portable unit,
forget my advice.

Regards

Dave Robinson

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: mohit108agarwal@gmail.com

Date: 26 Jan, 2008 15:08:30

Message: 6 of 8

On Jan 25, 12:07=A0am, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 24 Jan, 19:52, mohit108agar...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for theblind". The
> > task of the project is to capture images from thewebcamand to
> > process the image and extract useful objects from the images.The
> > object extracted will be compared to the objects defined in the
> > database and the appropriate objects audio will be the o/p to the
> >blindwhich will help as a navigation tool to theblind.
> > Now my quetion is that which programming language will the most
> > efficient to use?
>
> Use the language you are most proficient and comfortable with.
> I would be surprised if run-time efficiency will be the main
> obstacle in your efforts; making the object recognition system
> work will be no trivial task unless you use very simple test
> images.
>
> > Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.
>
> Check the Matlab API documentation.
>
> Rune

The starting point in my project is to capture an image and use it for
processing.Can you tell how to capture te image and use it for
processing.Is it possible to image using matlab and use for processing
or do we need to integrate java along with matlab for this purpose or
do we need to use some other language.

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: Dave Robinson

Date: 26 Jan, 2008 15:35:02

Message: 7 of 8

mohit108agarwal@gmail.com wrote in message
<b3e4d86f-ba9e-4cc1-9fcc-b70d112999c8@1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>...
> On Jan 25, 12:07=A0am, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no>
wrote:
> > On 24 Jan, 19:52, mohit108agar...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for
theblind". The
> > > task of the project is to capture images from
thewebcamand to
> > > process the image and extract useful objects from the
images.The
> > > object extracted will be compared to the objects
defined in the
> > > database and the appropriate objects audio will be the
o/p to the
> > >blindwhich will help as a navigation tool to theblind.
> > > Now my quetion is that which programming language will
the most
> > > efficient to use?
> >
> > Use the language you are most proficient and comfortable
with.
> > I would be surprised if run-time efficiency will be the main
> > obstacle in your efforts; making the object recognition
system
> > work will be no trivial task unless you use very simple test
> > images.
> >
> > > Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.
> >
> > Check the Matlab API documentation.
> >
> > Rune
>
> The starting point in my project is to capture an image
and use it for
> processing.Can you tell how to capture te image and use it for
> processing.Is it possible to image using matlab and use
for processing
> or do we need to integrate java along with matlab for
this purpose or
> do we need to use some other language.

For your initial experiments, all you need is

1) Matlab,
2) The image processing toolbox,
3) The image acquisition tool box

Get the information & quotation from The Mathworks

You will also require a PC, with speaker system and a camera
\framegrabber compatible with item 3) check with the
Mathworks (I think - but don't know - that you can interface
a standard USB webcam so you wouldn't need a framegrabber).

Regards

Dave Robinson

Subject: Which programming language should be used for image processing???

From: ali karali

Date: 21 Jun, 2008 14:52:01

Message: 8 of 8

mohit108agarwal@gmail.com wrote in message
<962843d7-048a-44cb-a0ee-62d0eb20c062@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>...
> I am doing my final year project titled "Web cam for the
blind". The
> task of the project is to capture images from the webcam
and to
> process the image and extract useful objects from the
images.The
> object extracted will be compared to the objects defined
in the
> database and the appropriate objects audio will be the o/p
to the
> blind which will help as a navigation tool to the blind.
> Now my quetion is that which programming language will the
most
> efficient to use?
> Also is it possible to integrate java with matlab.Any one
having any
> idea as to how to implement the project will be a great
help for us.
> Thank you

Hello,
Here is the code block that you can use to capture images
from webcam by using MATLAB.
---------
obj = videoinput('winvideo', 1);
set(obj, 'FramesPerTrigger', 1);
src_obj = getselectedsource(obj);
get(src_obj)
frame = getsnapshot(obj);
---------
by reading the descriptions of the above functions, you can
easily understand and adapt the codes to your computer. only
thing is that, above functions belong to image acqusition
toolbox and you can find it at r2007b.

Regards

Ali Onur Karalı

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us