Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
blank lines being removed from posts

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Dave Brackett

Date: 3 Nov, 2008 22:37:01

Message: 1 of 10

anyone else finding that this site is squeezing all blank lines out of posts? it makes it very difficult to read them.

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: ImageAnalyst

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 00:44:23

Message: 2 of 10

On Nov 3, 5:37=A0pm, "Dave Brackett" <davebrack...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> anyone else finding that this site is squeezing all blank lines out of po=
sts? it makes it very difficult to read them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave:
I'm not noticing that. I open other postings and see blank lines in
between the paragraphs. What newsreader are you using? The one on
The Mathworks web site? Google Groups?

Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.

Blank line above me and below me.

Blank line above me and below me.

Regards,
ImageAnalyst

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Paul Mennen

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 05:44:02

Message: 3 of 10

> I'm not noticing that.
> What newsreader are you using?
> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
>
> Blank line above me and below me.
>
> Blank line above me and below me.
>
> Regards,
> ImageAnalyst

Ok, here is another data point.
There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I don't see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original poster who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the problem.

I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this problem.

~Paul Mennen

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott)

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 08:31:26

Message: 4 of 10

Paul Mennen <nospam@mennen.org> wrote:
>> I'm not noticing that.
>> What newsreader are you using?
>> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
>>
>> Blank line above me and below me.
>>
>> Blank line above me and below me.
>>
>> Regards,
>> ImageAnalyst
>
> Ok, here is another data point.
> There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the
> quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines
> (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I don't
> see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original poster
> who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do
> I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the
> problem.

You guess correctly. tin is my newsreader of choice, and has been for
around two decades.


>
> I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this
> problem.
>

I'd much prefer that they concentrated on MATLAB itself.

(Previous and next lines both intentionally left blank, just to tease.)

--
Dr Tristram J. Scott
Energy Consultant

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Dave Brackett

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 10:24:01

Message: 5 of 10

ok well whatever it was it seems to be fixed now. and yes, it was the matlab central website forum newsgroup itself and not a 3rd party newsreader.


tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) wrote in message <yLTPk.14176$eT6.3236@newsfe28.ams2>...
> Paul Mennen <nospam@mennen.org> wrote:
> >> I'm not noticing that.
> >> What newsreader are you using?
> >> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
> >>
> >> Blank line above me and below me.
> >>
> >> Blank line above me and below me.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> ImageAnalyst
> >
> > Ok, here is another data point.
> > There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the
> > quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines
> > (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I don't
> > see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original poster
> > who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do
> > I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the
> > problem.
>
> You guess correctly. tin is my newsreader of choice, and has been for
> around two decades.
>
>
> >
> > I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this
> > problem.
> >
>
> I'd much prefer that they concentrated on MATLAB itself.
>
> (Previous and next lines both intentionally left blank, just to tease.)
>
> --
> Dr Tristram J. Scott
> Energy Consultant

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Dave Brackett

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 10:30:05

Message: 6 of 10

oops spoke to soon. it works find with google chrome but still problematic with IE. so is this something my end or matlab website's end?

any ideas how to solve it? I guess I could use chrome all the time, but a lot of people will be using IE so it will probably be affecting many.




"Dave Brackett" <davebrackett@hotmail.com> wrote in message <gep7s1$jkg$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> ok well whatever it was it seems to be fixed now. and yes, it was the matlab central website forum newsgroup itself and not a 3rd party newsreader.
>
>
> tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) wrote in message <yLTPk.14176$eT6.3236@newsfe28.ams2>...
> > Paul Mennen <nospam@mennen.org> wrote:
> > >> I'm not noticing that.
> > >> What newsreader are you using?
> > >> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
> > >>
> > >> Blank line above me and below me.
> > >>
> > >> Blank line above me and below me.
> > >>
> > >> Regards,
> > >> ImageAnalyst
> > >
> > > Ok, here is another data point.
> > > There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the
> > > quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines
> > > (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I don't
> > > see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original poster
> > > who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do
> > > I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the
> > > problem.
> >
> > You guess correctly. tin is my newsreader of choice, and has been for
> > around two decades.
> >
> >
> > >
> > > I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this
> > > problem.
> > >
> >
> > I'd much prefer that they concentrated on MATLAB itself.
> >
> > (Previous and next lines both intentionally left blank, just to tease.)
> >
> > --
> > Dr Tristram J. Scott
> > Energy Consultant

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Wolfgang Schwanghart

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 10:37:02

Message: 7 of 10

A thing I'd like to add next to line problem, is that email addresses given in the user profile are shown in the quoted text, when you reply.

"
"Dave Brackett" <davebrackett@hotmail.com> wrote in message <gep87d$n6s$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
"

 So all spam-prevention is probably needless except providing the wrong email address when setting a new account.

Bests,
Wolfgang


"Dave Brackett" <davebrackett@hotmail.com> wrote in message <gep87d$n6s$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> oops spoke to soon. it works find with google chrome but still problematic with IE. so is this something my end or matlab website's end?
>
> any ideas how to solve it? I guess I could use chrome all the time, but a lot of people will be using IE so it will probably be affecting many.
>
>
>
>
> "Dave Brackett" <davebrackett@hotmail.com> wrote in message <gep7s1$jkg$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > ok well whatever it was it seems to be fixed now. and yes, it was the matlab central website forum newsgroup itself and not a 3rd party newsreader.
> >
> >
> > tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) wrote in message <yLTPk.14176$eT6.3236@newsfe28.ams2>...
> > > Paul Mennen <nospam@mennen.org> wrote:
> > > >> I'm not noticing that.
> > > >> What newsreader are you using?
> > > >> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
> > > >>
> > > >> Blank line above me and below me.
> > > >>
> > > >> Blank line above me and below me.
> > > >>
> > > >> Regards,
> > > >> ImageAnalyst
> > > >
> > > > Ok, here is another data point.
> > > > There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the
> > > > quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines
> > > > (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I don't
> > > > see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original poster
> > > > who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do
> > > > I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the
> > > > problem.
> > >
> > > You guess correctly. tin is my newsreader of choice, and has been for
> > > around two decades.
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > > I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this
> > > > problem.
> > > >
> > >
> > > I'd much prefer that they concentrated on MATLAB itself.
> > >
> > > (Previous and next lines both intentionally left blank, just to tease.)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dr Tristram J. Scott
> > > Energy Consultant

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Steven Lord

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 15:29:24

Message: 8 of 10


"Tristram Scott" <tristram.scott@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:yLTPk.14176$eT6.3236@newsfe28.ams2...
> Paul Mennen <nospam@mennen.org> wrote:
>>> I'm not noticing that.
>>> What newsreader are you using?
>>> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
>>>
>>> Blank line above me and below me.
>>>
>>> Blank line above me and below me.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> ImageAnalyst
>>
>> Ok, here is another data point.
>> There are obviously blank lines where you say there is because in the
>> quoted text that appeared when I hit reply, you can see the blank lines
>> (above). However when I look at the original message in the thread, I
>> don't
>> see the blank lines. So this confirms the complaint of the original
>> poster
>> who is probably using the mathworks web site to read the newsgroup (as do
>> I). I'm guessing those who use a traditional newsreader won't see the
>> problem.
>
> You guess correctly. tin is my newsreader of choice, and has been for
> around two decades.
>
>
>>
>> I'm confident someone at The Mathworks will be interested in fixing this
>> problem.
>>
>
> I'd much prefer that they concentrated on MATLAB itself.

Keep in mind that not everyone here works on MATLAB itself (some work on
Simulink, or Stateflow, or various toolboxes and blocksets) and not everyone
works in development (sales, customer service, technical support, human
resources, marketing, etc.)

When you see a problem like this, to make certain that the MATLAB Central
administrators are aware of it, please send email to files@mathworks.com
(the address is linked at the bottom of each newsreader page) in addition to
posting? I've forwarded this thread to them, but in the future the sooner
the administrators learn about a problem like this blank line issue, the
sooner they can start investigating the problem and fixing it.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Per Sundqvist

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 15:44:03

Message: 9 of 10

ImageAnalyst <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> wrote in message <4332fddd-410e-4837-8fc8-5595ec646c52@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>...
> On Nov 3, 5:37=A0pm, "Dave Brackett" <davebrack...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > anyone else finding that this site is squeezing all blank lines out of po=
> sts? it makes it very difficult to read them.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dave:
> I'm not noticing that. I open other postings and see blank lines in
> between the paragraphs. What newsreader are you using? The one on
> The Mathworks web site? Google Groups?
>
> Here's a test. There is a blank line above and below this line.
>
> Blank line above me and below me.
>
> Blank line above me and below me.
>
> Regards,
> ImageAnalyst
.
No there is no blanks, where you say they should be in my browser. I'm using Mozilla firefox. Perhaps thats the problem? But it worked fine in the old version, which in my opinion was much better looking! I get confused with this new thing. Now I'm fixing it with a "." (dot). There is some bug from the Java-guys who developed this functionality, that it does not count the blank/newline in some way. ->Fix now!
.
/Per

Subject: blank lines being removed from posts

From: Helen Chen

Date: 4 Nov, 2008 18:46:03

Message: 10 of 10

> When you see a problem like this, to make certain that the MATLAB Central
> administrators are aware of it, please send email to files@mathworks.com
> (the address is linked at the bottom of each newsreader page) in addition to
> posting? I've forwarded this thread to them, but in the future the sooner
> the administrators learn about a problem like this blank line issue, the
> sooner they can start investigating the problem and fixing it.
>
Thanks everyone who reported this problem - I have reported this bug to development.

Helen

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us