Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
MATLAB code

Subject: MATLAB code

From: chandu

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 05:09:22

Message: 1 of 19

Sir,

         I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
steganography.I will be
thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
STEGANOGRAPHY.

                                 thanking you,

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Gavrilo Bozovic

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 07:45:08

Message: 2 of 19

chandu <chandra_427@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <8ab3a09c-6077-4b32-9925-6520b093d875@x6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>...
> Sir,
>
> I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> steganography.I will be
> thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> thanking you,

It's a bit shameless, don't you think?

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Lothar Schmidt

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 10:18:50

Message: 3 of 19

chandu schrieb:
> Sir,
>
> I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> steganography.I will be
> thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> thanking you,

you should specify software and/or operator interfaces more detailed.
I'm shure that as soon as we have enough information we will quickly
have done your work and will highly be pleased to have done you a
favour. At the moment I see a lack of information and therefor suppose
that noone will be able to help you adequately.

regards
Lothar

Subject: MATLAB code

From: David

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 11:20:02

Message: 4 of 19

chandu <chandra_427@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <8ab3a09c-6077-4b32-9925-6520b093d875@x6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>...
> Sir,
>
> I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> steganography.I will be
> thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> thanking you,

you are obviously destined for a career in management, or at burger king.

Subject: MATLAB code

From: John D'Errico

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 12:01:01

Message: 5 of 19

"David" <dave@bigcompany.com> wrote in message <gmp3h2$gfh$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> chandu <chandra_427@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <8ab3a09c-6077-4b32-9925-6520b093d875@x6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>...
> > Sir,
> >
> > I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> > steganography.I will be
> > thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> > STEGANOGRAPHY.
> >
> > thanking you,
>
> you are obviously destined for a career in management, or at burger king.

Go for the gold - Burger King management.

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Walter Roberson

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 16:31:28

Message: 6 of 19

chandu wrote:
> I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> steganography.I will be
> thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> STEGANOGRAPHY.

Did you think I was joking earlier when I made the reference to
cryptography export laws and "munitions"? The relevant international
treaty is named ITAR, which is the International Treaty on Arms Reduction.
Cryptography is considered extremely important in warfare -- the Second World
War is considered by many analysts to have been won primarily because the UK
cracked the German "Enigma" encryption devices.

If you want the code, you will have to track it down yourself in a public
publication, or from a country that is not a signatory to ITAR, such
North Korea or Iran. For those of us in countries which have signed ITAR,
sending you the code could be a one-way trip to prison.

--
.signature note: I am now avoiding replying to unclear or ambiguous postings.
Please review questions before posting them. Be specific. Use examples of what you mean,
of what you don't mean. Specify boundary conditions, and data classes and value
relationships -- what if we scrambled your data or used -Inf, NaN, or complex(rand,rand)?

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Roger Stafford

Date: 9 Feb, 2009 22:17:01

Message: 7 of 19

Walter Roberson <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message <2TYjl.22066$Dx3.20719@newsfe21.iad>...
> chandu wrote:
> > I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> > steganography.I will be
> > thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> > STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> Did you think I was joking earlier when I made the reference to
> cryptography export laws and "munitions"? The relevant international
> treaty is named ITAR, which is the International Treaty on Arms Reduction.
> Cryptography is considered extremely important in warfare -- the Second World
> War is considered by many analysts to have been won primarily because the UK
> cracked the German "Enigma" encryption devices.
>
> If you want the code, you will have to track it down yourself in a public
> publication, or from a country that is not a signatory to ITAR, such
> North Korea or Iran. For those of us in countries which have signed ITAR,
> sending you the code could be a one-way trip to prison.

  Chandu has asked a very naive question and clearly deserves some of the ribbing received above. There is no such thing as a specific "code for LSB method of STEGANOGRAPHY". That is a general category of subject matter and is like asking for the code for choosing the "best" stocks to purchase on the New York Stock Exchange (an admittedly very risky endeavor these days.) There are a great many "codes" that undertake to utilize the LSB method in steganography. A Google search will reveal many articles on the subject, as for example

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

  On the other hand, Walter, in my opinion it is being a bit paranoic to quote ITAR as a warning simply because Chandu is presumably a citizen of India (I quote you: "... and since India is not one of the countries ...".) Granted that certain specific software that carries out particular steganography encodings might very well be classified, but I seriously doubt if such a thing is what Chandu has in mind. The best thing to give as a response to this student with a prospective project in steganography would be a list of references to sources of general information on the subject and the admonition that we on CSSM aren't in the business of writing extensive software of any kind, whatever the subject matter.

Roger Stafford

Subject: MATLAB code

From: chandu

Date: 11 Feb, 2009 17:03:38

Message: 8 of 19

On Feb 9, 9:31=A0pm, Walter Roberson <rober...@hushmail.com> wrote:
> chandu wrote:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> > steganography.I will be
> > thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> > STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> Did you think I was joking earlier when I made the reference to
> cryptography export laws and "munitions"? The relevant international
> treaty is named ITAR, which is the International Treaty on Arms Reduction=
.
> Cryptography is considered extremely important in warfare -- the Second W=
orld
> War is considered by many analysts to have been won primarily because the=
 UK
> cracked the German "Enigma" encryption devices.
>
> If you want the code, you will have to track it down yourself in a public
> publication, or from a country that is not a signatory to ITAR, such
> North Korea or Iran. For those of us in countries which have signed ITAR,
> sending you the code could be a one-way trip to prison.
>
> --
> .signature note: I am now avoiding replying to unclear or ambiguous posti=
ngs.
> Please review questions before posting them. Be specific. Use examples of=
 what you mean,
> of what you don't mean. Specify boundary conditions, and data classes and=
 value
> relationships -- what if we scrambled your data or used -Inf, NaN, or com=
plex(rand,rand)?








Hello dear responders,

          First of all I am apologizing for my way of putting up a
question of this kind.
          I feel very guilty for making you people understand my
problem in a wrong way as ur responses above reflect which I didn't
mean. II have understood what did I do from ur responses, but don't
misunderstand my intention. I hope you understand my intention to know
the MATLAB code for the implentation of LSB method of steganography as
I already told you that I am an engineering student doing project on
Steganography.
Once again my apologizes to you people and understand that I didn't
make that for what you people mean....

Subject: MATLAB code

From: us

Date: 11 Feb, 2009 17:14:01

Message: 9 of 19

chandu
> I hope you understand my intention to know
> the MATLAB code for the implentation of LSB method of steganography as
> I already told you that I am an engineering student doing project on
> Steganography...

well, if you perused roger's reply, you might have found this

http://petitcolas.net/fabien/steganography/image_downgrading/index.html

us

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Walter Roberson

Date: 15 Feb, 2009 16:38:10

Message: 10 of 19

Roger Stafford wrote:

> On the other hand, Walter, in my opinion it is being a bit paranoic to quote ITAR as
> a warning simply because Chandu is presumably a citizen of India

It has nothing to do with which country Chandu is a *citizen* of.
The cryptography control laws have several levels:

A) There are very strong laws against exporting nearly any kind of
cryptography to a small number of "enemy states" such as North Korea.
Last time I looked, the wording of those laws made exporting even
single-DES (56 bit) to those countries -tantamount- to treason.

B) There is a list of specific individuals that it is illegal to export
most cryptography to, no matter which country those individuals happen to
be in at the time

C) There is a list of 11 (last time I looked) countries which were
to be treated as essentially equivalent to USA, with strong cryptography
exportable to those countries -- unless it was to one of those named
individuals

D) All other countries and export requests are considered case by case.

Chandu's posting address was chandra_427@yahoo.co.in -- an email address which
is in India. I am in one of the 11 ITAR countries; Chandu is not. I
cannot export cryptography to Chandu.

If Chandu were to visit one of those 11 countries, and Chandu does not
happen to be one of those proscribed individuals, then Chandu would have
no legal problems picking up textbooks or tee-shirts or taking courses
(including possibly doing a complete PhD thesis) on crytography. But
Chandu would not be able to take those textbooks or tee-shirts home to
India without an export waiver -- because (with the exception of those
specific individuals) the rules are based around -exports- to -countries-.

> Granted that certain specific software that carries out particular
> steganography encodings might very well be classified

Even unclassified cryptography is strictly export controlled.

The reference I made to tee-shirts earlier? That was a serious historical
reference. There is a one-line perl implementation of a weak cryptography
algorithm. It isn't especially long. The algorithm in question is not
classified, and it is completely legal to sell the tee-shirts with the
algorithm in the United States -- but it is (or at least at the time, was)
illegal to wear the tee-shirts to outside the ITAR countries. If I recall,
the back of the tee-shirt had a phrase that went roughly, "This tee-shirt
is a Munition". (Does the UK have a common saying talking about
the relative timing of fleeing horses and the locking of barns?)

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Roger Stafford

Date: 15 Feb, 2009 21:37:02

Message: 11 of 19

Walter Roberson <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message <mxXll.2874$pX4.1949@newsfe08.iad>...
> .......
> The cryptography control laws have several levels:
> ......

  There are two aspects of your earlier warning to Chandu that I will discuss here, Walter. The first is this. In spite of what you say, I feel that it was decidedly lacking in tact to respond to Chandu's request with a warning about ITAR. As I stated earlier, it would have been far better to reply with the statement that his request was too vague for CSSM people to respond with any kind of meaningful code assistance. It would have been entirely appropriate to simply give some advice about pertinent sources in the literature on the subject available to anyone on the planet. After all, he stated that he was a "final year engg. student & doing my project on steganography". What could be more to the point for an aspiring student?

  The second aspect is the ITAR (International Treaty on Arms Reduction) organization itself. In view of some of the contents of that treaty, its very name reads like some of the "doublethink" and "newspeak" out of George Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four" novel. It speaks of "arms reduction" but only seriously plans for reduction in certain other "enemy" countries, not in others, particularly not in the treaty nations themselves. It is very clear that the United States, for example, is by far the world's largest supplier of arms to other nations in total contradiction to the principle of arms reduction. With the treaty provisions applied even to such things as tee-shirts this treaty's name becomes the ultimate in hypocrisy and paranoia, in my opinion.

  You have carefully explained provisions in that treaty, Walter, but I have not heard one word of dissent as to the disquieting effects that such rules may have on the relationships between different societies. Imagine yourself a student in a country that was not in this treaty organization. What do you think the effect would be on that student when confronted with such discriminatory rules having to do even with the free exchange of ideas and knowing full well that these ideas would nevertheless eventually find a way of being exchanged? I know that if I were such a student, I would first of all be seriously doubtful of the wisdom and even sanity of the signatories of such strange agreements, but most particularly would be outraged about such a wanton display of hypocrisy and discrimination. I would be pleased to hear at the very least some small note of disapproval coming from you
about the rules you have described so well concerning ITAR, Walter.

Roger Stafford

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Walter Roberson

Date: 18 Feb, 2009 18:54:36

Message: 12 of 19

Roger Stafford wrote:
> Walter Roberson <roberson@hushmail.com> wrote in message <mxXll.2874$pX4.1949@newsfe08.iad>...
>> .......
>> The cryptography control laws have several levels:

> There are two aspects of your earlier warning to Chandu that I will discuss here, Walter.
> The first is this. In spite of what you say, I feel that it was decidedly
> lacking in tact to respond to Chandu's request with a warning about ITAR.

I quote from the original posting:

  "I will be thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
  STEGANOGRAPHY."

Chandu did not ask for *assistance* with implementing the project, Chandu
asked for the complete code. And for those of us in ITAR countries, unless
that code has already been cleared for export, we could not legally send
that code even if we wanted to.

> It would have been entirely appropriate to simply give some advice about
pertinent sources
> in the literature on the subject available to anyone on the planet.

I disagree. When someone asks for complete code and gives no indication that
they have even attempted the task, I believe the more appropriate reply is
one that makes it clear that we are not free programming and research on
demand, and that we expect the poster to put some visible effort in before
we will assist them.

> What could be more to the point for an aspiring student?

What could be more to the point to an aspiring student? Well, there is the
point I have raised several times before, that goes roughly, "If we answer
this for you, then all you will have learned is that you can just ask and
someone will do your work for you. We have professional and ethical
responsibilities to try to prevent that from happening, especially for
engineering students: professional engineers are -personally- responsible
for the the safety of humans in every aspect of their work, and when they
copy someone else's work instead of doing their own research and own
verification, they do not learn appropriate professional responsibility
for the results they pass on to others. That is dangerous to society
and we (the volunteers) would be negligent if we contributed to it."


> You have carefully explained provisions in that treaty, Walter, but I have not
> heard one word of dissent as to the disquieting effects that such rules may have
> on the relationships between different societies.

Roger, I am a civil servant who works for a research organization. I am
permitted to list laws that touch upon research we may or may not be
engaged in [since laws are publicly available facts], but I am not
authorized to communicate in public any opinion as to whether those laws
are beneficial or harmful (or to whom, since many laws are
beneficial to some people and harmful to others). I am only permitted
to express in public opinions upon laws that the organization I work for
definitely has no connection to -- and even then, only if those laws
have no effect upon the organization. The essence of this is that if there
is any possibility that in expressing the opinion upon the law, that
someone *might* construe the opinion as being a "government position",
or *might* construe the opinion as somehow affecting my ability to do
impartial work with all members of the people we are mandated to
serve, then I am not permitted to express that opinion in any way that
might be traceable back to me or to the organization.

And no, this restraint upon public expression is not just "something
that is on the books but no-one ever pays attention to it."

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Bruno Luong

Date: 18 Feb, 2009 20:10:18

Message: 13 of 19

As far as I know, the news group can be frequented by anyone, not only people in the US or in other country that is concerned by the treaty. OP has the right to ask. If someone here is prohibited by the law to give out the code, that’s their problems, and not OP’s. He has the right to ask and he did not do anything wrong here as far as I see it.

Bruno

Subject: MATLAB code

From: us

Date: 18 Feb, 2009 20:40:18

Message: 14 of 19

"Bruno Luong"
> As far as I know, the news group can be frequented by anyone, not only people in the US or in other country that is concerned by the treaty. OP has the right to ask. If someone here is prohibited by the law to give out the code, that’s their problems, and not OP’s. He has the right to ask and he did not do anything wrong here as far as I see it...

i second bruno's (and roger's) view...
walter, i also feel that this discussion is taking a slightly wrong turn...

us

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Walter Roberson

Date: 18 Feb, 2009 21:10:41

Message: 15 of 19

us wrote:
> "Bruno Luong"
>> As far as I know, the news group can be frequented by anyone, not only people in the US or in other country that is concerned by the treaty. OP has the right to ask. If someone here is prohibited by the law to give out the code, that’s their problems, and not OP’s. He has the right to ask and he did not do anything wrong here as far as I see it...
>
> i second bruno's (and roger's) view...

Perhaps you missed the portion of my earlier reply that went,

>>> If you want the code, you will have to track it down yourself in a public
>>> publication, or from a country that is not a signatory to ITAR, such
>>> North Korea or Iran. For those of us in countries which have signed ITAR,
>>> sending you the code could be a one-way trip to prison.

> walter, i also feel that this discussion is taking a slightly wrong turn...

The following article subsection provides interesting background reading
for anyone who works in computer security or cryptography and might
at some point wish to visit the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

  The DMCA has had an impact on the worldwide cryptography research community,
  since an argument can be made that any cryptanalytic research violates, or might
  violate, the DMCA. The arrest of Russian programmer Dmitry Sklyarov in 2001, for
  alleged infringement of the DMCA, was a highly publicized example of the law's use
  to prevent or penalize development of anti-DRM measures.[12] While working for
  Elcomsoft in Russia, he developed The Advanced eBook Processor, a software application
  allowing users to strip usage restriction information from restricted e-books, an
  activity legal in both Russia and the United States.[13] Paradoxically, under the DMCA,
  it is not legal in the United States to provide such a tool. Sklyarov was arrested in
  the United States after presenting a speech at DEF CON and subsequently spent nearly
  a month in jail.[14] The DMCA has also been cited as chilling to legitimate users,
  such as students of cryptanalysis (including, in a well-known instance, Professor
  Edward Felten and students at Princeton[15]), and security consultants such as
  Niels Ferguson, who has declined to publish information about vulnerabilities he
  discovered in an Intel secure-computing scheme because of his concern about being
  arrested under the DMCA when he travels to the US.


For reasons indicated in my earlier posting, this quotation is provided for
information purposes only.

Subject: MATLAB code

From: nirupama tripathy

Date: 14 Mar, 2009 08:17:01

Message: 16 of 19

chandu <chandra_427@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message <8ab3a09c-6077-4b32-9925-6520b093d875@x6g2000pre.googlegroups.com>...
> Sir,
>
> I am final year engg. student & doing my project on
> steganography.I will be
> thankful if you can send me the MATLAB code for LSB method of
> STEGANOGRAPHY.
>
> thanking you,

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Heinrich Acker

Date: 16 Mar, 2009 13:37:17

Message: 17 of 19

I'm confused about this ITAR issue:

Google gives me only 6 results for "international treaty on arms reduction", which is surprisingly few for such an issue. One post from this thread is number one!

Wikipedia tells me that ITAR stands for "International Traffic in Arms Regulations", but it seems to be something different, though related, since - according to the article - it is a set of regulations of the U.S. government, not a treaty, and thus does not have a list of states which signed it or the like.

If the ITAR of this Wikipedia article is the one that is discussed in this thread, some of the statements in this thread are confusing - or the article is not correct. I don't know.

Heinrich

Subject: MATLAB code

From: adel

Date: 5 Apr, 2010 15:42:06

Message: 18 of 19

hi alll...
i'm working as research engineer and i need help regarding matlab code for steganography...based on LSB... plz any one can help, send the code to my email : adelalhalawani@hotmail.com

Subject: MATLAB code

From: Walter Roberson

Date: 7 Apr, 2010 14:53:27

Message: 19 of 19

adel wrote:
> hi alll...
> i'm working as research engineer and i need help regarding matlab code
> for steganography...based on LSB... plz any one can help, send the code
> to my email : adelalhalawani@hotmail.com

See my posting of only about 2 weeks ago:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.soft-sys.matlab/browse_thread/thread/3234a6cf1fd2ca8d/18ce059591842707

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us