Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
Fonts in Ubuntu

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Øyvind

Date: 16 Sep, 2010 11:10:08

Message: 1 of 9

I am new to Ubuntu (10.04) an recently installed Matlab 2010a.

For some reason the editor font (Monospace 10) is rendering differently in the Matlab editor than in the rest of the OS, it seems as if anti-aliasing is off, and won't turn on, no matter what I do. I did check the "Use anti-aliasing.." checkbox, and restarted with no effect. Comparing Monospace 10 in Matlab and Gedit the difference is striking.

It may not be a big deal, but the lack of smoothing is making the code look thin and jumbly and insubstantial on my big display. It's a bit distracting.

Any ideas?

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Grzegorz Knor

Date: 16 Sep, 2010 11:53:04

Message: 2 of 9

"Øyvind " <oyvist@gmail.com> wrote in message <i6stug$8g0$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I am new to Ubuntu (10.04) an recently installed Matlab 2010a.
>
> For some reason the editor font (Monospace 10) is rendering differently in the Matlab editor than in the rest of the OS, it seems as if anti-aliasing is off, and won't turn on, no matter what I do. I did check the "Use anti-aliasing.." checkbox, and restarted with no effect. Comparing Monospace 10 in Matlab and Gedit the difference is striking.
>
> It may not be a big deal, but the lack of smoothing is making the code look thin and jumbly and insubstantial on my big display. It's a bit distracting.
>
> Any ideas?


Do you use system font ? (checkbox in section desktop text font)

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Øyvind

Date: 16 Sep, 2010 12:13:04

Message: 3 of 9

"Grzegorz Knor" <gknor@o2.pl> wrote in message <i6t0f0$k3t$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Do you use system font ? (checkbox in section desktop text font)

Yes. Tried both to check and uncheck it with no effect. It's the "Desktop code font" that's the problem, though.

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Wolfgang

Date: 5 Jan, 2011 20:44:08

Message: 4 of 9

Did you find any solution? - I am using Ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome.

I had a look at "/usr/local/matlabR2010a/X11/app-defaults/Matlab", which might be useful.
! .........................DEFAULT:
*fontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
! ...................Figure window text font:
figure*fontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
! ...................Figure window exponent text font
figure*expfontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
But changes to this file were without any effect.

This file refers to the Xdefaults file. I have checked "xset q" and confirmed the existence of several fonts. However, the home folder does not contain any .Xsession and .Xdefaults file. Why?

The "matlab.prf" file seems to contain insufficient possibilities to change to Ubuntu's system fonts. However, it is possible to change the following:
GeneralTextFont=F0 10 SansSerif
GeneralCodeFont=F0 11 Monospaced
FontHTMLProportionalTextCustom=F0 13 Garuda

How can I improve the Ubuntu Matlab fonts?

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Abhay Ghatpande

Date: 19 Feb, 2011 07:21:03

Message: 5 of 9

*BUMP*

MathWorks! are you listening. MATLAB is all but unable on Ubuntu 10.10 owing to the fonts. It seems that its not following the Xft settings.

"WG-Uni Surrey" wrote in message <ig2l6o$h34$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Did you find any solution? - I am using Ubuntu 10.10 with Gnome.
>
> I had a look at "/usr/local/matlabR2010a/X11/app-defaults/Matlab", which might be useful.
> ! .........................DEFAULT:
> *fontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> ! ...................Figure window text font:
> figure*fontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> ! ...................Figure window exponent text font
> figure*expfontList: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
> But changes to this file were without any effect.
>
> This file refers to the Xdefaults file. I have checked "xset q" and confirmed the existence of several fonts. However, the home folder does not contain any .Xsession and .Xdefaults file. Why?
>
> The "matlab.prf" file seems to contain insufficient possibilities to change to Ubuntu's system fonts. However, it is possible to change the following:
> GeneralTextFont=F0 10 SansSerif
> GeneralCodeFont=F0 11 Monospaced
> FontHTMLProportionalTextCustom=F0 13 Garuda
>
> How can I improve the Ubuntu Matlab fonts?

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Steven_Lord

Date: 21 Feb, 2011 01:10:27

Message: 6 of 9



"Abhay Ghatpande" <catchalladdr@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ijnr0v$h4b$1@fred.mathworks.com...
> *BUMP*
>
> MathWorks! are you listening. MATLAB is all but unable on Ubuntu 10.10
> owing to the fonts. It seems that its not following the Xft settings.

Please contact Technical Support and work with them to determine the cause
of this behavior and how to resolve the problem.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com
To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
http://www.mathworks.com

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Cameron

Date: 31 May, 2011 14:39:02

Message: 7 of 9

See the fix on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1762805

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Carl

Date: 28 Dec, 2011 17:08:08

Message: 8 of 9

"Cameron" wrote in message <is2ui6$6q1$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> See the fix on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1762805

Did anyone find a solution? The thread above only fixes font problems in figures. I too won't get any anti-aliasing on fonts e.g. in the editor. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity and Matlab R2010a.

(I did check checkbox "Use antialiasing" In Preferences->Font, doesn't help.)

This is really a major drawback of Matlab on Ubuntu. Not being able to use anit-aliasing reduces readability significantly, and forces users to select a larger font size, resulting in fewer visible lines in the editor.

Subject: Fonts in Ubuntu

From: Wataru

Date: 19 Jan, 2013 16:36:08

Message: 9 of 9

"Carl" wrote in message <jdfido$dun$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> "Cameron" wrote in message <is2ui6$6q1$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> > See the fix on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1762805
>
> Did anyone find a solution? The thread above only fixes font problems in figures. I too won't get any anti-aliasing on fonts e.g. in the editor. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity and Matlab R2010a.
>
> (I did check checkbox "Use antialiasing" In Preferences->Font, doesn't help.)
>
> This is really a major drawback of Matlab on Ubuntu. Not being able to use anit-aliasing reduces readability significantly, and forces users to select a larger font size, resulting in fewer visible lines in the editor.


The same problem in 2011a student version on Ubuntu 12.10.

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us