Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
MCR bugs

Subject: MCR bugs

From: Igor

Date: 8 Mar, 2011 01:38:04

Message: 1 of 5

1st
64bit MCR opens editor for error messages, and since there's no longer .m code, it looks like "V1MCC4000MEC1000MCR1000x" ...
Editor looks useless here.... for example one may try to use deploytool on a simple script containing only "error('a'); ".


2nd
When, during build sequence, Matlab Compiler can not re-write resulting .exe no error is genereted. This complicate futher debug process..... ;)
For example, if you'd executed test.exe with those "error('a'); " from previous example, got an error and closed those editor - test.exe process is still there.... So, if you now replace "error('a');" with "msgbox('a')" , compile and run - there would be no messagebox, just an error, like last time.....

3rd
This is not a bug, it's more like a suggestion - a question....
Matlab's deployed applications can take quite a time to load... It seems like most time is spent on loading the MCR... And user may have completly no sign of application activity for about 30 seconds... So, wouldn't it be nice to add some progressbar to visualize loading process? Maybe there is any easy way to implement something like this?

Subject: MCR bugs

From: Aurelien Queffurust

Date: 8 Mar, 2011 09:49:47

Message: 2 of 5

"Igor" wrote in message <il419s$9cl$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> 1st
> 64bit MCR opens editor for error messages, and since there's no longer .m code, it looks like "V1MCC4000MEC1000MCR1000x" ...
> Editor looks useless here.... for example one may try to use deploytool on a simple script containing only "error('a'); ".
>
>
> 2nd
> When, during build sequence, Matlab Compiler can not re-write resulting .exe no error is genereted. This complicate futher debug process..... ;)
> For example, if you'd executed test.exe with those "error('a'); " from previous example, got an error and closed those editor - test.exe process is still there.... So, if you now replace "error('a');" with "msgbox('a')" , compile and run - there would be no messagebox, just an error, like last time.....
>
> 3rd
> This is not a bug, it's more like a suggestion - a question....
> Matlab's deployed applications can take quite a time to load... It seems like most time is spent on loading the MCR... And user may have completly no sign of application activity for about 30 seconds... So, wouldn't it be nice to add some progressbar to visualize loading process? Maybe there is any easy way to implement something like this?


Concrening item #3:

Workaround TMW:
You can use a splash screen as explained here ( not easy to setup to be honest)
How can I show a splash screen when the MCR is loading in "Windows Standalone Application" mode?
http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-6M21RQ/index.html?solution=1-6M21RQ

My solution :
To make end-users to wait during the loading , I write some messages in the console : who has devloped the standalone, in which release , ...
The trick is to use startmsg and completemsg with mcc -R.
You have an example with screenshots in my blog:
http://blog.developpez.com/matlab4geek/c2720/best-of-des-commandes-matlab-utiles/message-d-accueil-pour-les-executables/

Aurélien

Subject: MCR bugs

From: Steven_Lord

Date: 8 Mar, 2011 14:40:05

Message: 3 of 5



"Igor " <i3v@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:il419s$9cl$1@fred.mathworks.com...
> 1st
> 64bit MCR opens editor for error messages, and since there's no longer .m
> code, it looks like "V1MCC4000MEC1000MCR1000x" ...
> Editor looks useless here.... for example one may try to use deploytool on
> a simple script containing only "error('a'); ".
>
>
> 2nd
> When, during build sequence, Matlab Compiler can not re-write resulting
> .exe no error is genereted. This complicate futher debug process..... ;)
> For example, if you'd executed test.exe with those "error('a'); " from
> previous example, got an error and closed those editor - test.exe process
> is still there.... So, if you now replace "error('a');" with "msgbox('a')"
> , compile and run - there would be no messagebox, just an error, like
> last time.....
>
> 3rd
> This is not a bug, it's more like a suggestion - a question....
> Matlab's deployed applications can take quite a time to load... It seems
> like most time is spent on loading the MCR... And user may have completly
> no sign of application activity for about 30 seconds... So, wouldn't it be
> nice to add some progressbar to visualize loading process? Maybe there is
> any easy way to implement something like this?

These problems are going to be very difficult if not impossible to debug
without your code. Please send the reproduction steps with which you can
reproduce these problems to Technical Support so that they can determine the
cause of these problems.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com
To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
http://www.mathworks.com

Subject: MCR bugs

From: Igor

Date: 8 Mar, 2011 14:41:05

Message: 4 of 5

"Aurelien Queffurust" wrote in message <il4u3r$807$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Concrening item #3:
>
> Workaround TMW:
> You can use a splash screen as explained here ( not easy to setup to be honest)
> How can I show a splash screen when the MCR is loading in "Windows Standalone Application" mode?
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-6M21RQ/index.html?solution=1-6M21RQ
>
> My solution :
> To make end-users to wait during the loading , I write some messages in the console : who has devloped the standalone, in which release , ...
> The trick is to use startmsg and completemsg with mcc -R.
> You have an example with screenshots in my blog:
> http://blog.developpez.com/matlab4geek/c2720/best-of-des-commandes-matlab-utiles/message-d-accueil-pour-les-executables/
>
> Aurélien

Hm... thanks for the info.... I think I need at least something like that... It's strange matlab folks hadn't added some kind of waitbar to those mclInitializeApplication themself.... There could be less work then those article. ;)

Subject: MCR bugs

From: Igor

Date: 8 Mar, 2011 23:40:25

Message: 5 of 5

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <il5f3j$jm7$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

> These problems are going to be very difficult if not impossible to debug
> without your code. Please send the reproduction steps with which you can
> reproduce these problems to Technical Support so that they can determine the
> cause of these problems.
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
> http://www.mathworks.com


Just did this...
Code is very simple:

During first compilation:
test.m :
--------
error('a');
------
During second:
test.m :
--------
msgbox('a');
------

I've also recorded a screenvideo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pyx0BuqUvM

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us