Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
save GUI figure as tif

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: Daphne

Date: 3 Oct, 2011 05:40:28

Message: 1 of 7


I would like to save my GUI figure as an image, but when using print, only a single panel of the GUI gets printed. Using print screen I can get the screen capture, but that is only at 72 dpi, and I would prefer higher resolution.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Daphne

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: ImageAnalyst

Date: 3 Oct, 2011 12:59:27

Message: 2 of 7

On Oct 3, 1:40 am, "Daphne" <daphnew_too_nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to save my GUI figure as an image, but when using print, only a single panel of the GUI gets printed. Using print screen I can get the screen capture, but that is only at 72 dpi, and I would prefer higher resolution.
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks
> Daphne

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, our daily "how do I save a picture?" question. The first thing to
do is to read the FAQ:
http://matlab.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_save_my_figure.2C_axes.2C_or_image.3F_I.27m_having_trouble_with_the_built_in_MATLAB_functions.

export_fig() has all kinds of options.

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: Daphne

Date: 4 Oct, 2011 11:15:31

Message: 3 of 7


Thanks
It may seem like a simple question... but the export_fig didn't work either.
Sticking to print screen...

Daphne

ImageAnalyst <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> wrote in message <04e68a39-7e35-4820-a0f2-671cb7b7522e@d17g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>...
> On Oct 3, 1:40 am, "Daphne" <daphnew_too_nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I would like to save my GUI figure as an image, but when using print, only a single panel of the GUI gets printed. Using print screen I can get the screen capture, but that is only at 72 dpi, and I would prefer higher resolution.
> > Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Daphne
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, our daily "how do I save a picture?" question. The first thing to
> do is to read the FAQ:
> http://matlab.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_save_my_figure.2C_axes.2C_or_image.3F_I.27m_having_trouble_with_the_built_in_MATLAB_functions.
>
> export_fig() has all kinds of options.

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: Oliver Woodford

Date: 4 Oct, 2011 11:34:29

Message: 4 of 7

"Daphne" wrote:
>
> Thanks
> It may seem like a simple question... but the export_fig didn't work either.
> Sticking to print screen...
>
> Daphne

It was simple, Daphne - too simple. Try adding more information next time, like an example script that replicates the problem. That way we might actually understand the issue and be able to provide better help.

Oliver

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: ImageAnalyst

Date: 4 Oct, 2011 22:32:41

Message: 5 of 7

On Oct 4, 7:15 am, "Daphne" <daphnew_too_nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks
> It may seem like a simple question... but the export_fig didn't work either.
> Sticking to print screen...
>
> Daphne
--------------------------------------------------
Exactly how did export_fig fail? Are you saying that it printed only
1 of the multitude of panels you have on your GUI that are visible?
What's special about the one that got saved? What's in it, and what's
in the other panels that you could see on the screen but didn't get
saved into the image file?

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: Daphne

Date: 5 Oct, 2011 07:01:29

Message: 6 of 7


Sorry for the lack of info, will try to be more specific. I have a GUI figure composed of two axes and a few panels, each containing buttons, text boxes, and edit text boxes.
When I use print or saveas, only one of the panels, with all its contents is saved.

When I tried export_fig, I only got the contours of the elements in the gui, that is the panel boxes, and the lines around the axes. There was no info there other than that.
Am I doing something wrong, or is my gui off somehow?

Thanks,
Daphne


ImageAnalyst <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> wrote in message <77fc24d6-9047-483c-909b-c27fdd6ac650@d26g2000vby.googlegroups.com>...
> On Oct 4, 7:15 am, "Daphne" <daphnew_too_nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks
> > It may seem like a simple question... but the export_fig didn't work either.
> > Sticking to print screen...
> >
> > Daphne
> --------------------------------------------------
> Exactly how did export_fig fail? Are you saying that it printed only
> 1 of the multitude of panels you have on your GUI that are visible?
> What's special about the one that got saved? What's in it, and what's
> in the other panels that you could see on the screen but didn't get
> saved into the image file?

Subject: save GUI figure as tif

From: Oliver Woodford

Date: 5 Oct, 2011 08:15:27

Message: 7 of 7

"Daphne" wrote:
>
> Sorry for the lack of info, will try to be more specific. I have a GUI figure composed of two axes and a few panels, each containing buttons, text boxes, and edit text boxes.
> When I use print or saveas, only one of the panels, with all its contents is saved.
>
> When I tried export_fig, I only got the contours of the elements in the gui, that is the panel boxes, and the lines around the axes. There was no info there other than that.
> Am I doing something wrong, or is my gui off somehow?
>
> Thanks,
> Daphne

Thanks, Daphne. That's much better, but we still don't know how you are calling print or export_fig. Are you passing it a handle?

In these situations a Minimal Working Example (MWE) is best. That is a short piece of self-contained code (i.e. that doesn't require data or code that other users might not have) that demonstrates the issue. Some comments explaining what you get versus what you expect is sometimes also necessary. In your case the MWE would create a small GUI, then try to export it. From there it is very easy for us to understand and fix the problem (if possible) quickly.

Oliver

Tags for this Thread

No tags are associated with this thread.

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us