Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
Serious issue with MATLAB filesave

Subject: Serious issue with MATLAB filesave

From: Balachander Narasimhan

Date: 9 Nov, 2012 23:11:17

Message: 1 of 4

Hi,

I use MATLAB R2011a on a Linux system. After finalizing a plot in .fig format, I use either 'save as' or 'export' option to save it in a format such as jpg to include in documents. The problem is that once you save in that format, say .png or .jpg, following that even if I simply 'save' the .fig file after further changes, it saves it in the .png or .jpg format previously used and overwrites the .fig file. This I should say is very careless GUI design on MATLAB's part since every time I cannot remember to select he .fig option and I end up losing the editable .fig format. One could easily lose their hard-earned data that way.

Either whenever we simply use 'save', it should save as .fig by default (since it is the most important format) or at least it should not overwrite a filename with another extension. Such simple things can save lot of unnecessary extra work. Is this the case with windows version too? is there a way out of this?.

Also I need to mention the weird key combinations provided in Linux version such a alt+w for copy, etc. instead of the conventional ones. Even though MATLAB is a software mainly used for engineering and research purposes, some importance to design of GUI has to be given.

Subject: Serious issue with MATLAB filesave

From: Sadik

Date: 10 Nov, 2012 11:20:21

Message: 2 of 4

Hi Balachander,

Rather than saving your figure using the menu in the figure window, I would recommend using the command line option to save both types:

saveas(gcf,'MyPlot.png')
saveas(gcf,'MyPlot.fig')

As for the shortcuts, it is customizable as far as I know. Just google it.

Best.

Subject: Serious issue with MATLAB filesave

From: Steven_Lord

Date: 12 Nov, 2012 15:16:06

Message: 3 of 4



"Balachander Narasimhan" <balxxxxxchand@whatever.com> wrote in message
news:k7k2il$jdg$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com...
> Hi,
>
> I use MATLAB R2011a on a Linux system. After finalizing a plot in .fig
> format, I use either 'save as' or 'export' option to save it in a format
> such as jpg to include in documents. The problem is that once you save in
> that format, say .png or .jpg, following that even if I simply 'save' the
> .fig file after further changes, it saves it in the .png or .jpg format
> previously used and overwrites the .fig file. This I should say is very
> careless GUI design on MATLAB's part since every time I cannot remember to
> select he .fig option and I end up losing the editable .fig format. One
> could easily lose their hard-earned data that way.
>
> Either whenever we simply use 'save', it should save as .fig by default
> (since it is the most important format) or at least it should not
> overwrite a filename with another extension. Such simple things can save
> lot of unnecessary extra work. Is this the case with windows version too?
> is there a way out of this?.

I believe this has already been reported as part of bug report 608483 or
816907.

http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/608483

http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/816907

> Also I need to mention the weird key combinations provided in Linux
> version such a alt+w for copy, etc. instead of the conventional ones. Even
> though MATLAB is a software mainly used for engineering and research
> purposes, some importance to design of GUI has to be given.

That is part of the Emacs keyboard shortcuts set, which is the default on
Linux. However if you prefer the Windows keyboard shortcuts, or prefer to
customize your own, please search the documentation in your installation for
the phrase "keyboard shortcuts". The documentation that you find in that
search will show you how to modify the keyboard shortcuts via the
Preferences window.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com
To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
http://www.mathworks.com

Subject: Serious issue with MATLAB filesave

From: Balachander Narasimhan

Date: 14 Nov, 2012 01:17:29

Message: 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies steven and sadik.

regs
bala

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <k7r3rm$q6j$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>
>
> "Balachander Narasimhan" <balxxxxxchand@whatever.com> wrote in message
> news:k7k2il$jdg$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I use MATLAB R2011a on a Linux system. After finalizing a plot in .fig
> > format, I use either 'save as' or 'export' option to save it in a format
> > such as jpg to include in documents. The problem is that once you save in
> > that format, say .png or .jpg, following that even if I simply 'save' the
> > .fig file after further changes, it saves it in the .png or .jpg format
> > previously used and overwrites the .fig file. This I should say is very
> > careless GUI design on MATLAB's part since every time I cannot remember to
> > select he .fig option and I end up losing the editable .fig format. One
> > could easily lose their hard-earned data that way.
> >
> > Either whenever we simply use 'save', it should save as .fig by default
> > (since it is the most important format) or at least it should not
> > overwrite a filename with another extension. Such simple things can save
> > lot of unnecessary extra work. Is this the case with windows version too?
> > is there a way out of this?.
>
> I believe this has already been reported as part of bug report 608483 or
> 816907.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/608483
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/support/bugreports/816907
>
> > Also I need to mention the weird key combinations provided in Linux
> > version such a alt+w for copy, etc. instead of the conventional ones. Even
> > though MATLAB is a software mainly used for engineering and research
> > purposes, some importance to design of GUI has to be given.
>
> That is part of the Emacs keyboard shortcuts set, which is the default on
> Linux. However if you prefer the Windows keyboard shortcuts, or prefer to
> customize your own, please search the documentation in your installation for
> the phrase "keyboard shortcuts". The documentation that you find in that
> search will show you how to modify the keyboard shortcuts via the
> Preferences window.
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> To contact Technical Support use the Contact Us link on
> http://www.mathworks.com

Tags for this Thread

No tags are associated with this thread.

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us