Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Pengfei Wang

Date: 5 Jan, 2013 23:15:09

Message: 1 of 7

Dear all,

PLEASE HELP because I am really getting mad.

I tried to use rtwintgt -setup to install real-time windows target kernel. After typing 'y' to the prompt, MATLAB command line shows 'The Real-Time Windows Target kernel has been successfully installed'. But when I type rtwho to prove it, it shows 'Real-Time Windows Target installation is not complete. Please type 'rtwintgt -setup' to complete the installation. Type 'help rtwintgt' for more information.' It is really a dead circle, and it didn't give any error message.

Please help if you know any reason can cause this.

Thanks a lot.

Pengfei

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Pengfei Wang

Date: 7 Jan, 2013 09:34:11

Message: 2 of 7

"Pengfei Wang" <p.wang@live.co.uk> wrote in message <kcac5s$1hm$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Dear all,
>
> PLEASE HELP because I am really getting mad.
>
> I tried to use rtwintgt -setup to install real-time windows target kernel. After typing 'y' to the prompt, MATLAB command line shows 'The Real-Time Windows Target kernel has been successfully installed'. But when I type rtwho to prove it, it shows 'Real-Time Windows Target installation is not complete. Please type 'rtwintgt -setup' to complete the installation. Type 'help rtwintgt' for more information.' It is really a dead circle, and it didn't give any error message.
>
> Please help if you know any reason can cause this.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Pengfei

Can anyone help please. I got no problem with R2011b, but in R2012a, R2012b, it says the RTWT is successfully installed, but actually not.

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Jan Houska

Date: 8 Jan, 2013 15:39:43

Message: 3 of 7

Hi Pengfei,

Pengfei Wang wrote:
> "Pengfei Wang" <p.wang@live.co.uk> wrote in message
> <kcac5s$1hm$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>> Dear all,
>>
>> PLEASE HELP because I am really getting mad.
>>
>> I tried to use rtwintgt -setup to install real-time windows target
>> kernel. After typing 'y' to the prompt, MATLAB command line shows 'The
>> Real-Time Windows Target kernel has been successfully installed'. But
>> when I type rtwho to prove it, it shows 'Real-Time Windows Target
>> installation is not complete. Please type 'rtwintgt -setup' to
>> complete the installation. Type 'help rtwintgt' for more information.'
>> It is really a dead circle, and it didn't give any error message.
>>
>> Please help if you know any reason can cause this.
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> Pengfei
>
> Can anyone help please. I got no problem with R2011b, but in R2012a,
> R2012b, it says the RTWT is successfully installed, but actually not.

what operating system do you have? What version, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

Jan


--
Jan Houska HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
houska@humusoft.com Pobrezni 20
http://www.humusoft.com 186 00 Praha 8
tel: ++ 420 284 011 730 Czech Republic
fax: ++ 420 284 011 740

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Pengfei Wang

Date: 8 Jan, 2013 22:51:09

Message: 4 of 7

Hello, Jan

So glad to hear from someone. I am using 32 bit Windows XP. It is running as a virtual machine in 64 bit Windows 7. All the versions of MATLAB are running in this virtual machine. I also run other software in this virtual machine, like Siemens. Until now don't have any problem with the virtual environment.

Pengfei

Jan Houska <houska@humusoft.com> wrote in message <50EC3DBF.8070006@humusoft.com>...
> Hi Pengfei,
>
> Pengfei Wang wrote:
> > "Pengfei Wang" <p.wang@live.co.uk> wrote in message
> > <kcac5s$1hm$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> PLEASE HELP because I am really getting mad.
> >>
> >> I tried to use rtwintgt -setup to install real-time windows target
> >> kernel. After typing 'y' to the prompt, MATLAB command line shows 'The
> >> Real-Time Windows Target kernel has been successfully installed'. But
> >> when I type rtwho to prove it, it shows 'Real-Time Windows Target
> >> installation is not complete. Please type 'rtwintgt -setup' to
> >> complete the installation. Type 'help rtwintgt' for more information.'
> >> It is really a dead circle, and it didn't give any error message.
> >>
> >> Please help if you know any reason can cause this.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot.
> >>
> >> Pengfei
> >
> > Can anyone help please. I got no problem with R2011b, but in R2012a,
> > R2012b, it says the RTWT is successfully installed, but actually not.
>
> what operating system do you have? What version, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
>
> Jan
>
>
> --
> Jan Houska HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
> houska@humusoft.com Pobrezni 20
> http://www.humusoft.com 186 00 Praha 8
> tel: ++ 420 284 011 730 Czech Republic
> fax: ++ 420 284 011 740

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Jan Houska

Date: 9 Jan, 2013 08:11:37

Message: 5 of 7

Hi Pengfei,

I'm afraid that, generally, you cannot run Real-Time Windows Target in a
virtual machine. This also depends on the virtual machine
implementation, e.g VMware Workstation is known to work in most (but not
all) cases. However, there is no official support for running in a
virtual machine.

The reason is that the real-time kernel needs direct access to computer
hardware at a very low level. This is in particular true for the timing
engine - it accesses the system timer hardware in a way that very often
conflicts with the virtual machine engine.

And, there is also the question of data acquisition hardware. Real-Time
Windows Target needs direct access to it but this is not supported by
virtual machines.

If you want to stay at that computer, your best choice is probably
installing 64-bit MATLAB and Real-Time Windows Target to the host machine.

Good Luck, Jan


Pengfei Wang wrote:
> Hello, Jan
>
> So glad to hear from someone. I am using 32 bit Windows XP. It is
> running as a virtual machine in 64 bit Windows 7. All the versions of
> MATLAB are running in this virtual machine. I also run other software in
> this virtual machine, like Siemens. Until now don't have any problem
> with the virtual environment.
>
> Pengfei
>
> Jan Houska <houska@humusoft.com> wrote in message
> <50EC3DBF.8070006@humusoft.com>...
>> Hi Pengfei,
>>
>> Pengfei Wang wrote:
>> > "Pengfei Wang" <p.wang@live.co.uk> wrote in message >
>> <kcac5s$1hm$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
>> >> Dear all,
>> >>
>> >> PLEASE HELP because I am really getting mad.
>> >>
>> >> I tried to use rtwintgt -setup to install real-time windows target
>> >> kernel. After typing 'y' to the prompt, MATLAB command line shows
>> 'The >> Real-Time Windows Target kernel has been successfully
>> installed'. But >> when I type rtwho to prove it, it shows 'Real-Time
>> Windows Target >> installation is not complete. Please type 'rtwintgt
>> -setup' to >> complete the installation. Type 'help rtwintgt' for more
>> information.' >> It is really a dead circle, and it didn't give any
>> error message.
>> >>
>> >> Please help if you know any reason can cause this.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks a lot.
>> >>
>> >> Pengfei
>> > > Can anyone help please. I got no problem with R2011b, but in
>> R2012a, > R2012b, it says the RTWT is successfully installed, but
>> actually not.
>>
>> what operating system do you have? What version, and is it 32-bit or
>> 64-bit?
>>
>> Jan
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jan Houska HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
>> houska@humusoft.com Pobrezni 20
>> http://www.humusoft.com 186 00 Praha 8
>> tel: ++ 420 284 011 730 Czech Republic
>> fax: ++ 420 284 011 740


--

--
Jan Houska HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
houska@humusoft.com Pobrezni 20
http://www.humusoft.com 186 00 Praha 8
tel: ++ 420 284 011 730 Czech Republic
fax: ++ 420 284 011 740

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Pengfei Wang

Date: 9 Jan, 2013 09:25:08

Message: 6 of 7

Hello, Jan
Thank you very much for your explanation. Can I ask more please?

I am using Windows virtual machine, not VMware or other software. It is integrated into Windows 7 very well. I can use it as host for xPC target , and I can install RTWT kernel on MATLAB 2011b. Why it only doesn't work with MATALB 2012a or MATLAB 2012b. I know there are some updates, but I don't think it will affect installing RTWT kernel. I want to use the later version, because it has a new Real-time Synchronization Block.

As you suggested, I tried installing MATLAB in Windows 7. The RTWT kernel installs with no problem. When I insert a Real-time Synchronization Block into a very simple model (a signal generator and a 2nd order transfer function, 0.01s smaple time), the model runs slower than real time (more than twice slow). That is really another issue, I am trying to figure it out. The biggest problem I have is that I need to communicate with 3rd party software through s function using their supplied .dll file. I can't get it working if I use MATLAB in Windows 7.

Thanks again for your help.

Pengfei

Jan Houska <houska@humusoft.com> wrote in message <50ED2639.3090305@humusoft.com>...
> Hi Pengfei,
>
> I'm afraid that, generally, you cannot run Real-Time Windows Target in a
> virtual machine. This also depends on the virtual machine
> implementation, e.g VMware Workstation is known to work in most (but not
> all) cases. However, there is no official support for running in a
> virtual machine.
>
> The reason is that the real-time kernel needs direct access to computer
> hardware at a very low level. This is in particular true for the timing
> engine - it accesses the system timer hardware in a way that very often
> conflicts with the virtual machine engine.
>
> And, there is also the question of data acquisition hardware. Real-Time
> Windows Target needs direct access to it but this is not supported by
> virtual machines.
>
> If you want to stay at that computer, your best choice is probably
> installing 64-bit MATLAB and Real-Time Windows Target to the host machine.
>
> Good Luck, Jan

Subject: rtwintgt won't install real time windows target kernel

From: Jan Houska

Date: 11 Jan, 2013 13:09:06

Message: 7 of 7

Hi Pengfei,

it is interesting that you are able to install R2011b kernel but not the
newer ones. Do you have access to the prerelease of the next version? If
yes, could you try that? There are some changes in the installation
process, mostly to support Windows 8, but they may help here as well.

The slower than expected run in the native machine is very likely due to
power saving scheme getting active. Please try to find EIST or C1E
settings in your computer BIOS and disable that ("disabled" means
maximum performance, no power saving). However, if you need to use a
third-party DLL that is 32-bit, this cannot be done in 64-bit MATLAB.

Best Regards, Jan


Pengfei Wang wrote:
> Hello, Jan
> Thank you very much for your explanation. Can I ask more please?
>
> I am using Windows virtual machine, not VMware or other software. It is
> integrated into Windows 7 very well. I can use it as host for xPC target
> , and I can install RTWT kernel on MATLAB 2011b. Why it only doesn't
> work with MATALB 2012a or MATLAB 2012b. I know there are some updates,
> but I don't think it will affect installing RTWT kernel. I want to use
> the later version, because it has a new Real-time Synchronization Block.
>
> As you suggested, I tried installing MATLAB in Windows 7. The RTWT
> kernel installs with no problem. When I insert a Real-time
> Synchronization Block into a very simple model (a signal generator and a
> 2nd order transfer function, 0.01s smaple time), the model runs slower
> than real time (more than twice slow). That is really another issue, I
> am trying to figure it out. The biggest problem I have is that I need to
> communicate with 3rd party software through s function using their
> supplied .dll file. I can't get it working if I use MATLAB in Windows 7.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Pengfei
>
> Jan Houska <houska@humusoft.com> wrote in message
> <50ED2639.3090305@humusoft.com>...
>> Hi Pengfei,
>>
>> I'm afraid that, generally, you cannot run Real-Time Windows Target in
>> a virtual machine. This also depends on the virtual machine
>> implementation, e.g VMware Workstation is known to work in most (but
>> not all) cases. However, there is no official support for running in a
>> virtual machine.
>>
>> The reason is that the real-time kernel needs direct access to
>> computer hardware at a very low level. This is in particular true for
>> the timing engine - it accesses the system timer hardware in a way
>> that very often conflicts with the virtual machine engine.
>>
>> And, there is also the question of data acquisition hardware.
>> Real-Time Windows Target needs direct access to it but this is not
>> supported by virtual machines.
>>
>> If you want to stay at that computer, your best choice is probably
>> installing 64-bit MATLAB and Real-Time Windows Target to the host
>> machine.
>>
>> Good Luck, Jan


--

--
Jan Houska HUMUSOFT s.r.o.
houska@humusoft.com Pobrezni 20
http://www.humusoft.com 186 00 Praha 8
tel: ++ 420 284 011 730 Czech Republic
fax: ++ 420 284 011 740

Tags for this Thread

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us