Got Questions? Get Answers.
Discover MakerZone

MATLAB and Simulink resources for Arduino, LEGO, and Raspberry Pi

Learn more

Discover what MATLAB® can do for your career.

Opportunities for recent engineering grads.

Apply Today

Thread Subject:
Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: ma

Date: 25 Feb, 2004 10:10:43

Message: 1 of 9

Hello,
Does Matlab set any value in registry? I am writing an install
program for a toolbox for Matlab and I need to find where the
matlabroot is and what toolboxes are installed and what the version
of toolboxes are. How can I do this? Any suggestion for a good
installation utility? I found that I can’t create such an install
program with installshield, Am I wrong?

 Any help on this matter is appriciated.

Regards

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: Andrew Hutchinson

Date: 25 Feb, 2004 10:28:19

Message: 2 of 9

Not sure if ther are any registry settings but there is a folder of
user settings in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\MathWorks\MATLAB\R13"

a file called launchpad_cache.txt exists here with the paths to xml
files for Matlab's launch button.
here is an example:-

%% This is a cache file only. To add your product to the Launch Pad
%% you must ensure that your info.xml file is on the path.
%% ------------------------------------------------------------------
C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\matlab\general\info.xml
C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\combuilder\combuilder\info.xml
C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\compiler\info.xml

This lists the path to matlab, which you could extract.
Alternatively look in the path environment variable

not ideal, but it could work

ma wrote:
>
>
> Hello,
> Does Matlab set any value in registry? I am writing an install
> program for a toolbox for Matlab and I need to find where the
> matlabroot is and what toolboxes are installed and what the version
> of toolboxes are. How can I do this? Any suggestion for a good
> installation utility? I found that I can’t create such an install
> program with installshield, Am I wrong?
>
> Any help on this matter is appriciated.
>
> Regards

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: Kelvin Hales

Date: 25 Feb, 2004 17:16:28

Message: 3 of 9

In article <eed1b79.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP>, Ma wrote:
> Hello,
> Does Matlab set any value in registry? I am writing an install
> program for a toolbox for Matlab and I need to find where the
> matlabroot is and what toolboxes are installed and what the
version
> of toolboxes are. How can I do this? Any suggestion for a good
> installation utility? I found that I can’t create such an install
> program with installshield, Am I wrong?
>
> Any help on this matter is appriciated.
>
> Regards
>

You can easily find the registry settings by looking in the registry!

We don't have any problems here using InstallShield to install
MATLAB toolboxes. etc.

Kelvin B. Hales
Kelvin Hales Associates Limited
Consulting Control Engineers
E-mail: khales@khace.com
Web: www.khace.com

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: Lars Gregersen

Date: 25 Feb, 2004 21:26:53

Message: 4 of 9

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:10:43 -0500, ma <ma@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hello,
> Does Matlab set any value in registry? I am writing an install
>program for a toolbox for Matlab and I need to find where the
>matlabroot is and what toolboxes are installed and what the version
>of toolboxes are. How can I do this? Any suggestion for a good
>installation utility? I found that I can’t create such an install
>program with installshield, Am I wrong?

Recent versions of MATLAB adds something to the registry. Firing up
regedit and searching for MATLAB should give you something to look at.

Installshield is a very good tool for creating installations, but
others exist that are equally good. Are you targeting anything else
than the Windows platform?

Changing the matlab path is not easy from within Installshield, but it
is possible with a little work (and some C programming). The version
number of installed toolboxes can be tricky to find, but it generally
stored inside the contents.m file that is part of all toolboxes.

  Lars

Lars Gregersen
COMSOL A/S
http://www.comsol.dk

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: ma

Date: 25 Feb, 2004 18:44:08

Message: 5 of 9

Thanks for your reply.

I know how to write a DLL that can do the followings:
1- Find the Matlab root.
2- Add or remove entry in Matlab path.
Find the version of Matlab and installed toolboxes.
However, I could not find any way to integrate it into installshield.

Which version of installshield should I buy and where can I find more
information about this.

Best regards

Lars Gregersen wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:10:43 -0500, ma <ma@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>> Does Matlab set any value in registry? I am writing an install
>>program for a toolbox for Matlab and I need to find where the
>>matlabroot is and what toolboxes are installed and what the
> version
>>of toolboxes are. How can I do this? Any suggestion for a good
>>installation utility? I found that I can’t create such an
install
>>program with installshield, Am I wrong?
>
> Recent versions of MATLAB adds something to the registry. Firing up
> regedit and searching for MATLAB should give you something to look
> at.
>
> Installshield is a very good tool for creating installations, but
> others exist that are equally good. Are you targeting anything else
> than the Windows platform?
>
> Changing the matlab path is not easy from within Installshield, but
> it
> is possible with a little work (and some C programming). The
> version
> number of installed toolboxes can be tricky to find, but it
> generally
> stored inside the contents.m file that is part of all toolboxes.
>
> Lars
>
> Lars Gregersen
> COMSOL A/S
> <http://www.comsol.dk>
>

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: Kelvin Hales

Date: 26 Feb, 2004 09:43:03

Message: 6 of 9

In article <eed1b79.3@webx.raydaftYaTP>, Ma wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I know how to write a DLL that can do the followings:
> 1- Find the Matlab root.
> 2- Add or remove entry in Matlab path.
> Find the version of Matlab and installed toolboxes.
> However, I could not find any way to integrate it into installshield.
>
> Which version of installshield should I buy and where can I find
more
> information about this.
>
> Best regards

Installshield Express can do what you want.

Kelvin B. Hales
Kelvin Hales Associates Limited
Consulting Control Engineers
E-mail: khales@khace.com
Web: www.khace.com

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: m a

Date: 26 Feb, 2004 12:17:36

Message: 7 of 9

Thank you for your reply. I tried to use Installshield Express but I
couldn't manage to find the matlab root. Did you develop such system? How
can I get the matlab root in installshield Express?

Best regards

"Kelvin Hales" <khales@khace.com> wrote in message
news:VA.000018a8.000aa2e6@khace.com...
> In article <eed1b79.3@webx.raydaftYaTP>, Ma wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I know how to write a DLL that can do the followings:
> > 1- Find the Matlab root.
> > 2- Add or remove entry in Matlab path.
> > Find the version of Matlab and installed toolboxes.
> > However, I could not find any way to integrate it into installshield.
> >
> > Which version of installshield should I buy and where can I find
> more
> > information about this.
> >
> > Best regards
>
> Installshield Express can do what you want.
>
> Kelvin B. Hales
> Kelvin Hales Associates Limited
> Consulting Control Engineers
> E-mail: khales@khace.com
> Web: www.khace.com
>

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: rayn@mathworks.com (raymond s. norris)

Date: 26 Feb, 2004 09:25:09

Message: 8 of 9

[This followup was posted to comp.soft-sys.matlab and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

hi-

i have used this before:

       string szKey, szName, szDir;
       number nType, nvSize;

szKey = "SOFTWARE\\MathWorks\\MATLAB\\6.0";
szName = "MATLABROOT";
nType = REGDB_STRING;

RegDBSetDefaultRoot(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);
RegDBGetKeyValueEx(szKey, szName, nType, szDir, nvSize);

szDir will contain the value of where MATLAB is installed. it's been a
while, but i hope this points you in the right direction.

cheers,
-raymond

In article <c1ko5f$5ai$1@scotsman.ed.ac.uk>, ma@ee._removethis_.ed.ac.uk
says...
> Thank you for your reply. I tried to use Installshield Express but I
> couldn't manage to find the matlab root. Did you develop such system? How
> can I get the matlab root in installshield Express?
>
> Best regards
>
> "Kelvin Hales" <khales@khace.com> wrote in message
> news:VA.000018a8.000aa2e6@khace.com...
> > In article <eed1b79.3@webx.raydaftYaTP>, Ma wrote:
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > >
> > > I know how to write a DLL that can do the followings:
> > > 1- Find the Matlab root.
> > > 2- Add or remove entry in Matlab path.
> > > Find the version of Matlab and installed toolboxes.
> > > However, I could not find any way to integrate it into installshield.
> > >
> > > Which version of installshield should I buy and where can I find
> > more
> > > information about this.
> > >
> > > Best regards
> >
> > Installshield Express can do what you want.
> >
> > Kelvin B. Hales
> > Kelvin Hales Associates Limited
> > Consulting Control Engineers
> > E-mail: khales@khace.com
> > Web: www.khace.com

Subject: Matlab and windows registry and installtion program

From: Lars Gregersen

Date: 6 Mar, 2004 08:53:30

Message: 9 of 9

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:44:08 -0500, ma <ma@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>I know how to write a DLL that can do the followings:
>1- Find the Matlab root.
>2- Add or remove entry in Matlab path.
>Find the version of Matlab and installed toolboxes.
>However, I could not find any way to integrate it into installshield.

Installshield has the ability to call plugins (like MATLAB can call
MEX files). They are special DLLs that has to follow a certain format.
It is covered quite nicely in the documentation.

  Lars

Lars Gregersen
COMSOL A/S
http://www.comsol.dk

Tags for this Thread

No tags are associated with this thread.

What are tags?

A tag is like a keyword or category label associated with each thread. Tags make it easier for you to find threads of interest.

Anyone can tag a thread. Tags are public and visible to everyone.

Contact us