Registration for MathWorks Minidrone Competition – IFAC 2023
Must be completed by the team leader
Completion of this form is required to request software for the competition. MathWorks will respond within three business days. If your request is approved, you will receive instructions for downloading the software and distributing it to your team members.
* Indicates required information
Your message has been sent.
- Enter your email address
- Sign in or create a MathWorks Account
- Provide additional information
- Submit form
Terms and Conditions – MathWorks Minidrone Competition, IFAC 2023
Terms and Conditions – MathWorks Minidrone Competition, IFAC 2023
These Terms and Conditions (the “Terms”) govern your participation at the “MathWorks Minidrone Competition, IFAC 2023” (the “Competition”), promoted by The MathWorks GK (together with its affiliates, “MathWorks”) together with IFAC World Congress 2023 Organizing Committee currently planned to take place in Japan in 2023. MathWorks reserves the right, in its sole discretion and for any reason, to move the Competition to a virtual platform. In such case, MathWorks will notify all team captains via email and/or via an update to the Competition website.
Participation and Conditions of Entry:
How to Enter:
- The Competition will have two rounds. Round 1 will be a simulation round, and Round 2 is currently planned to be held at Pacifico Yokohama, 1-1-1, Minato Mirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-0012, JAPAN
- At least one team member must register on MathWorks’ website at https://www.mathworks.com/academia/student-competitions/minidrones/ifac-submission-form.html.
- Teams must have a minimum of two people and a maximum of four people.
- MathWorks employees are not eligible to participate in the Competition.
- Once the registration form is completed and reviewed by MathWorks (typically within 72 business hours of MathWorks’ receipt), teams will receive instructions on how to participate in Round 1 of the Competition.
- In Round 1, teams must submit a simulation model via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM EST on April 19, 2023 to be considered for Round 2. Only one entry may be submitted by each team. Up to seven teams will be selected to participate in Round 2 of the Competition.
- In order to participate in Round 2, these top teams must: (a) if Round 2 takes place in Japan, have at least their team captain be present at the Round 2 event at Pacifico Yokohama, 1-1-1, Minato Mirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama 220-0012, JAPAN on July 10-11, 2023; or (b) if MathWorks moves Round 2 to a virtual platform, (i) submit a five to seven minute video describing the approach used to solve the Round 1 problem statement via email to email@example.com by 5:00 PM EST on June 12, 2023; and (ii) have at least their team captain be present at the virtual event to be held on July 10-11, 2023.
- An overall winning team will be selected on July 10-11, 2023.
- Participation is free and no purchase is required. MathWorks will not pay or reimburse for travel or accommodation.
- By submitting their entries to the email address noted above, each team agrees that such entries will be shared with MathWorks and all other judges. Round 1 of the Competition will be judged by MathWorks engineers. Teams will use their modeling skills to refine a Simulink Model. The most efficient and fastest models will be selected for Round 2. Finalists invited to participate in Round 2 will be announced on May 24, 2023. If two or more entries receive the same winning score, the corresponding submitters will both move on to Round 2.
- If Round 2 of the Competition takes place in Japan, it will be judged by MathWorks engineers. The teams will use their programming and modeling skills to complete a series of engineering tasks using the MathWorks-provided Minidrone within a specific time limit and a specific number of trials. If one or more Round 2 team completes all of the tasks, those teams will be judged based on the fastest times. Otherwise, for Round 2 teams that do not complete all tasks, judges will consider the next highest number of tasks completed and how many times each Round 2 team achieves this number out of the specific number of trials allowed. If two or more teams tie, they will receive the same prize.
- If MathWorks moves Round 2 to a virtual platform, the videos submitted by each team in Round 1 will be streamed on the virtual platform, and MathWorks engineers and the virtual audience will ask the team captains questions about their team’s submission. If MathWorks moves Round 2 to a virtual platform, at least the team captain for teams invited to participate in Round 2 must be present at the virtual event to remain in the Competition; thereafter, Competition results will be judged solely based on the simulation performance of such teams in Round 1. If two or more entries receive the same winning score, the corresponding submitters will receive the same prize.
- Decisions by the judges are final.
- The first, second, and third placed teams will receive a prize of a trophy and a certificate. The teams must attend the Round 2 event on July 10-11, 2023 to be eligible for a prize. If at least the team captain of a team is not in attendance, that team’s prize will be awarded to the next-placed team.
- The names of the top three winning teams and their team members, along with the name of the school they are affiliated with, may be announced on the websites and/or the social media accounts (which may include without limitation Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn) of MathWorks and/or its affiliates.
You will continue to own any applicable intellectual property rights in your submissions, but by entering a submission, you grant to MathWorks a perpetual, worldwide royalty-free license to, without limitation, post the textual descriptions of the submissions on any website owned by or affiliated with MathWorks. Once you enter a submission, the submission cannot be modified in any way until after the judging period is complete.
You also agree to provide your submission directly to MathWorks, and grant to MathWorks a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license others to use, copy, modify, and distribute your submission, or any portion thereof, for any and all MathWorks promotional purposes, on any and all media, in any and all formats, and via any and all modes of transmission, distribution, or dissemination, whether now known or hereafter developed. Nothing herein shall obligate MathWorks to exercise these rights. You hereby waive any right of inspection or approval of the uses to which the submission may be put. You grant the judges the right to use your submission for the purposes of judging this Competition.
You warrant and represent that: (1) you are of eighteen (18) years of age or older, and have the capacity to enter into this agreement; (2) you are not an employee of MathWorks; (3) you have full right, power, and authority to grant these rights and permissions; and (4) your submission a) is original; b) is solely owned by you so that no other party has any rights or interest in the submission, whether known or unknown; and c) does not violate the intellectual property, common law, or any rights of any third parties. You agree that these Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and MathWorks, and supersedes all prior communications and/or understandings, whether written or oral, pertaining hereto. You agree that this agreement will be governed by and construed under and in accordance with the laws of Japan. This Competition is void where prohibited. This Competition is promoted The MathWorks GK, 7/F Akasaka Garden City, 4-15-1 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0052, Japan together IFAC World Congress 2023 Organizing Committee, c/o Japan Association of Automatic Control, Resona Kudan Bldg 5F, 1-5-6 Kudan-Minami, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-00074, Japan. Proof of purchase is not required, and purchase will not improve your chance of winning.
Select a Web Site
Choose a web site to get translated content where available and see local events and offers. Based on your location, we recommend that you select: .
You can also select a web site from the following list:
How to Get Best Site Performance
Select the China site (in Chinese or English) for best site performance. Other MathWorks country sites are not optimized for visits from your location.
- América Latina (Español)
- Canada (English)
- United States (English)
- Belgium (English)
- Denmark (English)
- Deutschland (Deutsch)
- España (Español)
- Finland (English)
- France (Français)
- Ireland (English)
- Italia (Italiano)
- Luxembourg (English)
- Netherlands (English)
- Norway (English)
- Österreich (Deutsch)
- Portugal (English)
- Sweden (English)
- United Kingdom (English)
- Australia (English)
- India (English)
- New Zealand (English)
- 日本Japanese (日本語)
- 한국Korean (한국어)