Learning and Self-Improvement
We maintain curiosity toward the world and have a passion for lifelong
learning. We believe in continuous self-improvement and developing
our own leadership skills:
- Invest in your own learning
- Learn, grow, and improve by reading, listening, asking, noticing,
taking things apart, networking, teaching, subscribing, training,
browsing, and exploring
- Seek out feedback from others and opportunities for personal
- Expose yourself to new things, even if they don't directly
help your job today
- Seek ways to apply what you've learned
- Compete against yourself - not others - to take each of your
skills to the next level
- Strive to get out of your
- Develop your own leadership skills - it's everyone's business to
be a leader
- Lead by example
- Find passion and joy in your work
- Take initiative and ownership
- Approach everything with a positive attitude, enthusiasm, and
Processes and Programs that Support Learning and Self-Improvement
MathWorks will pay for annual subscriptions to periodicals that
apply directly to your work. These periodicals can be mailed to your
home address or to MathWorks.
On Site Training Programs and Resources
To support our training philosophy, we offer the following programs and
Books and Tapes
Over 50 popular books and tapes on business, self-improvement, interpersonal
relationships, and other topics are available and can be borrowed from
We offer several courses each year on topics in health, fitness, parenting,
and financial planning.
- Big Picture Orientation. A comprehensive, intensive
program designed to give new staff members a clear idea of how the
company operates and a better understanding of its values, culture,
- New Manager Orientation. A series of three interactive
sessions on recruitment, performance management, compensation, employee
relations, legal issues, and MathWorks administration.
Leadership and Management
- Performance Management. A three-day seminar, for
all new managers and team leaders, on basic management skills, such
as performance planning, getting good information from others, and
- Leadership Is Everybody's Business. This course
is based on the same concepts as The Leadership Challenge but is
geared to individual contributors. It introduces the leadership principles
and uses experiential learning to show how you can apply these principles
to your role at MathWorks.
- Behavior-Based Interviewing. This one-day workshop
is designed to increase the accuracy of the staff selection process.
- Write to the Top - Business Writing. This workshop
focuses on organizing ideas, writing concisely, and using correct
- Negotiation Skills. This class examines the way
you currently conduct negotiations and explores the connections between
negotiating and relationship-building.
- Presentation Skills. This workshop teaches the
dynamics of presentation through practice, coaching, and video analysis.
- Applications Training. Applications training
courses at all levels are available in Microsoft Office. Courses in
Crystal Reporting, UNIX, and FrontPage are also offered.
- Programming Training. Courses include C++,