Systems Architect - DevOps
US-MA-Natick | Software Development | 9572-PGUI
We are looking for an experienced Web platform engineer who has the ability to lead the transition to our next generation web platform. This person will be working with development and infrastructure teams to further our move to cloud application design principles. This role will be expected to influence the future architecture and map a path from yesterday to tomorrow for our web application platform.
To be successful, you should have moderate to expert knowledge in most of the following areas:
- DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering methodologies
- Cloud and virtualization based technologies, e.g. Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), VMWare, OpenStack
- Administration of Java, Ruby on Rails, node.js and other web technologies
- Linux/UNIX Administration and Automation
- Developing cloud infrastructure designs and implementations and guiding the process from development to operations
- Most importantly, you should be a creative thinker and leader and be willing to work closely with developers and operations to enable both groups to create and deploy high quality applications faster.
- Work directly with architects and developers to create supportable designs and debug problems.
- Create infrastructure and architecture designs and implementation plans and guide the implementation with the operations team. Continually improving existing designs and finding gaps.
- Make decisions on problem mitigations in critical down time situations when escalation is impractical.
- Scripting (BASH, Perl, Ruby) and building required automation (Puppet/Chef) and tools on an ad-hoc basis.
- Create and deliver knowledge sharing presentations and documentation to developers and operations teams
- Learning on the job and explore new technologies with little supervision.
- Rotating on-call support of production infrastructure and applications and business hours support for development systems.
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
- BS/MS in computer science or related field is preferred.
- 8+ years of total experience with at least 3 years of web administration or full stack development and 2 years of cloud experience is preferred
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Ability to work with and influence software development teams
- Java Application and Java Application Server administration/tuning experience (e.g.: Glassfish, Weblogic, Tomcat).
- Solid experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or VMware vCloud and/or Docker
- Solid Linux experience (eg: Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS) with a focus on web (Apache/Nginx).
- Experience with scripting languages (eg: BASH, Perl, Ruby) and automation tools (e.g. Puppet, Chef, cfengine)
- Understanding of protocols/technologies like SOA, HTTP, SSL, LDAP, JDBC, Servlet/JSP, SQL, HTML, XML.
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 3500 people in 15 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here