I am also experiencing really niggly, frustrating and sometimes hair-pulling issues with Appdesigner (even version 2020a Update 1).
At present, my app consists of 30,804 lines and I am sharing data between Simulink and Appdesigner to create a test-bed kind of system.
The everyday issues that I see (or imagine I see, sometimes I wonder if it is just me...) are:-
1) The longer MATLAB/Appdesigner runs for, without a shut-down, the slower it gets and the more it trips up from time-to-time.
2) The Editor can vary in speed of response and be really annoyingly slow at times.
3) The 'Align' tools seem to stop working for long periods of time, for no apparent reason.
4) I try to regularly save versions of my work and back it up. I do that by using 'Save a copy' and assign the latest date. The message that it gives to say saving is complete, sits right over the same section I need to shutdown the current copy and load the new one. The message takes a while to disappear and slows me down.
5) The cursor seems to jump around under certain circumstances. For example, if I have an error with a Helper function, it can sometimes be due to an unavailable variable in the main part of the code - so I need to flick between the two areas (the Helper function and the main code). As my App is pretty sizeable now, this is an annoying process made worse by the cursor insisting on jumping back to the Helper function when I have just clicked in the main code area.
6) Graphics rendering is really slow (I am using a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.9GHz, 6 Core Intel i9 machine with 32GB DDR4 and a Radeon Pro 560X system). This takes some of the fun out of doing more interesting displays.
7) I would like the option to be able to tell MATLAB to save all of my data in the Base workspace because sharing information between Appdesigner and Simulink is a pain in the whatsit. I am using a work-around by constantly (and probably over-using) 'assignin' and 'evalin'. I have read somewhere that this is not good practice, but I don't care because it makes everything work for me.
8) I really, really hate trying to use (or reading about certain functions) which work perfectly well in MATLAB, but are not yet implemented in Appdesigner e.g. annotations on plots, locating the cursor position.... which leaves me trying to create a new workaround.
9) When I started using Appdesigner, there was the promise from the MATLAB team that it would be possible to integrate different apps. to get them to work together. So my work started as a group of separate apps that I planned to pull together on the web. But that facility has not materialised and so I have needed to spend a lot of time pulling all my work into one app.
10) 'Copy and paste' occasionally grinds to almost a halt and then I have to shutdown MATLAB and start up again.
11) The 'Open' feature doesn't always update with all the files that are available - I can see them if I use 'Finder', but can't see them from Appdesigner 'Open' on every occasion - unless I shutdown MATLAB and re-start it.
12) If I report an issue, quite often I am asked to send a copy of my App. But this is not possible because the work I am doing falls under a form of confidentiality/privacy agreement. The alternative is to spend time trying to create something new to send to the MATLAB team, but I just don't have the time to do that, I am already working to a deadline. The net result is that they just close the file and don't seem keen to investigate themselves much further, which is disappointing.
I am keen to know if other people have experienced any of the problems I have seen (the ones that have not already been mentioned by others) because I sometimes wonder if it is just me and I have accidently done something in the wrong way, or been staring at the screen for so long that I have imagined it....