This is a small MATLAB function to generate a fractal landscape by using diamon-square algorithm. The algorithm is actually very old but I learned it on the Paul Martz's "Generating Random Fractal Terrain" page (http://www.gameprogrammer.com/fractal.html) He also gives a C program but I was too lazy to compile it, install developer tools, compilers etc. So I decided to write a simplified version. The features are:
1. It is a single MATLAB file: fractal_landscape.m
2. If you run it, you will see a small animation of diamond-square algorithm.
3. If want to increase the resolution, just increase the maxiter parameter to 8 or 9.
4. I believe the comments inside the codes are very usefull to understand the algorithm.
5. It also create a POVRAY output of the landscape so that you can render it POVRAY if you want to.
Huseyin Kaya (2020). Fractal landscape generation with diamond-square algorithm (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/44714-fractal-landscape-generation-with-diamond-square-algorithm), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .