This case study shows how MATLAB can be used for a medical imaging problem. Given an MRI scan, first segment the brain mass from the rest of the head, then determine the brain volume. Also compare portions of gray and white matter present. This example was developed for seminars. It was also used for webinars for medical applications broadcast live on May 6, 2004.
This package includes some MATLAB code and an MRI scan series consisting of 60 DICOM images. Note that this code relies on MATLAB Central submissions from others. Detailed references to those sources are included.
Robert Bemis (2023). MRI Brain Segmentation (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/4879-mri-brain-segmentation), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Image Processing and Computer Vision > Image Processing Toolbox > Image Segmentation and Analysis > Image Segmentation >
- Sciences > Neuroscience > Human Brain Mapping > MRI >
- Industries > Medical Devices > DICOM Format >
- Sciences > Physics > Medical Physics >
- Sciences > Biological and Health Sciences > Biomedical Imaging > MRI >
- Engineering > Biomedical Engineering > Biomedical Imaging >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!