Exploring Risk Contagion Using Graph Theory & Markov Chains
Updated 26 Jan 2023
Exploring Risk Contagion Using Graph Theory and Markov Chains
Recent financial crises and periods of market volatility have heightened awareness of risk contagion and systemic risk among financial analysts. As a result, financial professionals are often tasked with constructing and analyzing models that will yield insight into the potential impact of risk on investments, portfolios, and business operations.
Several authors have described the use of advanced mathematical and statistical techniques for quantifying the dependent relationships between investments, foreign exchange rates, industrial sectors, or geographical regions. Bridging the gap between formal methods and a working code implementation is a key challenge for analysts.
This code, along with the corresponding technical article shows how MATLAB® can be used to analyze aspects of risk contagion using various mathematical tools. Topics covered include:
- Data aggregation, preprocessing, and risk benchmarking
- Quantifying dependent relationships between financial variables
- Visualizing the resulting network of dependencies together with proximity information
- Analyzing periods of risk contagion using hidden Markov models
Installation and Getting Started
The examples are provided in a MATLAB project.
- Double-click on the project archive (
Contagion.mlproj) to extract it using MATLAB.
- With MATLAB open, navigate to the newly-created project folder and double-click on the project file (
Contagion.prj) to open the project.
- The example file is the live script
RiskContagion.mlxwithin the project.
MathWorks® Product Requirements
This example was updated using MATLAB release R2022b.
The license for this entry is available in the license.txt file in this GitHub repository.
Copyright 2016-2023 The MathWorks, Inc.
Ken Deeley (2023). Exploring Risk Contagion Using Graph Theory & Markov Chains (https://github.com/mathworks/exploring-risk-contagion-using-graph-theory-and-markov-chains/releases/tag/v1.2.1), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- MATLAB > Mathematics > Graph and Network Algorithms >
- AI, Data Science, and Statistics > Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox > Descriptive Statistics and Visualization >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/mathworks/exploring-risk-contagion-using-graph-theory-and-markov-chains/releases/tag/v1.2.1
Updated description box.