Stroboscopic effect visibility measure toolbox
Updated 4 May 2018
This function implements the stroboscopic effect visibility (SVM) meter specified in CIE TN 006:2016 . The SVM-meter can be used to objectively asses the visibility of stroboscopic effect due to light modulations of lighting products such as lamps, luminaires or drivers.
Possible causes of light modulations that may give rise to unacceptable visibility of stroboscopic effect are:
– AC supply combined with light source technology and its power source (driver) topology;
– Dimming technology of externally applied dimmers or internal light level regulators.
Modulation depth (MD) – also called percent flicker - and flicker index (FI) are often used to quantify flicker or stroboscopic effect. It has been shown, that both these metrics are not able to objectively score the level of stroboscopic effect as actually perceived by humans . Therefore, instead of MD and FI, for the objective assessment of stroboscopic effect, the Stroboscopic effect Visibility Measure (SVM) is available .
- SVM_applicationWaveform.m : generates light waveforms, calculates spectrum and SVM
- PlotVisibilityThreshold.m : plots the SVM visibility threshold curve
- getSensitivityStrobo : gives the SVM visibility threshold according to CIE TN 006:2016
- stroboVisibilityMeasure : calculates SVM according to CIE TN 006:2016
- pulseWaveformParameters : calculates the max and min value of a pulse-modulated waveform, for a given modulation depth, duty cycle and average level
 CIE TN 006:2016, Visual Aspects of Time-Modulated Lighting Systems – Definitions and Measurement Models, 2016-08-31: http://files.cie.co.at/883_CIE_TN_006-2016.pdf.
 D. Sekulovski, Is it all flicker?, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gZg6eUmEGA, Webinar dd. 2016-03-24
 IEC Technical Report IEC TR 63158:2018-03 (ed.1.0), Equipment for general lighting purposes – Objective test method for stroboscopic effects of lighting equipment
Konika Banerjee (2023). Stroboscopic effect visibility measure toolbox (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/59242-stroboscopic-effect-visibility-measure-toolbox), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Signal Processing > Signal Processing Toolbox > Measurements and Feature Extraction > Pulse and Transition Metrics >
- Physical Modeling > Simscape Electrical > Electrical Block Libraries > Electromechanical >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
- some minor editorial corrections in the comment lines
- in SVM_applicationWaveform.m waveform parameters written to command window