Legacy NeoPixel Add-On Library for Arduino
Updated 22 May 2019
This add-on is supported for MATLAB R2017a – R2018b.
This add-on library extends MATLAB Support Package for Arduino Hardware to control Adafruit NeoPixel LED strip. With this add-on, you can control the color and brightness of an RGB or RGBW NeoPixel strip to produce various lighting effects.
% Create arduino object with the add-on library
a = arduino('COM10', 'Uno', 'Libraries', 'Adafruit/NeoPixel');
% Create NeoPixel strip object with 30 pixels
sensor = addon(a, 'Adafruit/NeoPixel', 'D6', 30);
% Write colors to the first 20 pixels
writeColor(neostrip, 1:10, 'magenta', 11:20, 'yellow');
It includes the documentation and examples that demonstrate the use of the Adafruit NeoPixel addon.
Important: Before using this add-on library in MATLAB, you need to install the Adafruit NeoPixel Arduino library. Here are the instructions:
1. Download the zip file from https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel/archive/v1.1.2.zip
2. Unpackage the zip into local directory and rename the folder to ‘Adafruit_NeoPixel'.
3. Move the ‘Adafruit_NeoPixel’ folder into the "libraries" folder inside your Arduino sketchbook folder:
On Windows, the default path is "Documents\Arduino\libraries\"
On Mac, the default path is "~/Documents/Arduino/libraries/"
On Linux, the default path is "/home/<username>/Arduino/libraries"
1. After installing this add-on library and the required Arduino library, type "listArduinoLibraries" in MATLAB to see if the add-on is properly installed.
2. Wire up the Arduino board and the add-on device properly before creating the object to avoid a connection error in MATLAB.
3. Refer to the documentation for details on usage and syntax. It can be found under Supplemental Software in the product documentation.
Feel free to contact the MATLAB Hardware Team if you have questions about this add-on library:
MathWorks MATLAB Hardware Team (2023). Legacy NeoPixel Add-On Library for Arduino (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/64467-legacy-neopixel-add-on-library-for-arduino), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- MATLAB > Graphics > Formatting and Annotation > 3-D Scene Control > Lighting, Transparency, and Shading >
Inspired by: MATLAB Support Package for Arduino Hardware
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
Added Legacy to title
Updated description and release compatibility to specify that the library is only supported for releases through R2018b.
Added license addendum and updated MathWorks http references to https