Ghrelin mathematical modeling
Updated 26 Feb 2018
Ghrelin is a quite powerful orexigenic hormone discovered in the late 1990s that controls appetite and energy homeostasis, alongside leptin and other hormones still to be investigated in depth by the medical sciences literature. Accordingly, we provide a (simple) mathematical model, consisting of a set of ordinary differential equations detailing ghrelin dynamics combined to gastrointestinal signals due to meals .
This code was created for studying the ghrelin dynamics .
Changing the internal parameters, defined in the code, you can arrive to some behaviors.
You have two codes:
* model_1: the ghrelin dynamics ;
* Main: the script where parameters are defined, the main script, run this one;
Should you decide to use the code in your research, please, cite the paper . You may want to take a look at .
Please, send feedbacks to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. J.G. Pires, A. Borri, A. De Gaetano, C. Manes, P. Palumbo. A short-term dynamical model for ghrelin. IFAC 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2017.08.2480; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405896317333979
2. J.G. Pires (2017), Mathematical modeling in energy homeostasis, appetite control and food intake with a special attention to ghrelin, PhD thesis, Department of Information Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics, University of L'Aquila. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317847898_Mathematical_modeling_in_energy_homeostasis_appetite_control_and_food_intake_with_a_special_attention_to_ghrelin
Alternative usages of this code:
- Exercise on numerical simulations of ordinary differential equations;
- Example of mathematical biology like modeling and simulations;
- Training/first glimpse on appetite and food intake control;
Jorge G Pires (2023). Ghrelin mathematical modeling (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/66201-ghrelin-mathematical-modeling), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- Industries > Automotive >
- Sciences > Food Sciences >
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
It was missing the model_1 file, needed for the numerical simulations.
Link to PhD thesis