Read RAW camera images from within Matlab, using DCRAW
The use of this class boils down to simply creating the object. Then, you
may simply use the imread and imfinfo call as usual, and RAW files
will magically be handled.
In the following example, we just call readraw once, and then all is done
with imread and imfinfo as you would do with other image formats.
dc = readraw;
im = imread('file.RAW');
info = imfinfo('file.RAW'); % this creates a file.tiff
delete('file.tiff'); % to save disk space
delete(dc); clear dc
NOTE: Each RAW file will be converted to a 16-bits TIFF one at the same
location as the initial RAW file. This file is then read again by imread
to actually get the image RGB channels. If you have created these files
(which are each 146 Mb), you may either remove them, or further access
them without requiring conversion.
Supported RAW camera image formats include:
- RAW CRW CR2 KDC DCR MRW ARW NEF NRW DNG ORF PTX PEF RW2 SRW RAF KDC
If you which to import the RAW files with specific DCRAW options, use the
readraw class method 'imread' with options as 3rd argument e.g:
dc = readraw;
im = imread(dc, 'file.RAW', '-a -T -6 -n 100');
and if you wish to get also the output file name and some more information:
[im, info, output] = imread(dc, 'file.RAW', '-T');
Some useful DCRAW options are:
-T write a TIFF file, and copy metadata in
-w -T -6 -q 3 use camera white balance, and best interpolation AHD
-a -T -6 use auto white balance
-i -v print metadata
-z set the generated image date to that of the camera
-n 100 remove noise using wavelets
-w use white balance from camera or auto
- readraw class instantiation. No argument.
- compile check for DCRAW availability or compile it
- delete remove readraw references in imformats. Then use clear
- imread read a RAW image using DCRAW. Allow more options
- imfinfo read a RAW image metadata using DCRAW
- DCRAW is a great tool <https://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/>
- Reading RAW files into MATLAB and Displaying Them <http://www.rcsumner.net/raw_guide/>
- RAW Camera File Reader by Bryan White 2016 <https://fr.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/7412-raw-camera-file-reader?focused=6779250&tab=function>
License: (c) E. Farhi, GPL2 (2018)
Hi Jack, I've updated the contribution to include Windows and MacOSX executables. Try it again, and it should run immediately.
Hi, I think this would be a great tool. Unfortunately, though, I cannot try it since am not able to compile dcraw.c 9.28 via dcraw_compile_binary.m. result shows 'collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status'
Now distributed with precompiled executables for systems that fail to compile.
Properly read EXIF data even when TIFF file exists.
Updated Matlab Central Description
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.