matlabcontrol is fantastic, but it hasn't been updated in a couple years.
I've created a binary-compatible fork on GitHub which is actively maintained called MatConsoleCtl.
Relative to matlabcontrol, it contains <https://github.com/diffplug/matconsolectl/blob/master/CHANGES.md these changes>
* available on Maven Central as com.diffplug.matsim:matconsolectl
* a way to connect to an existing MATLAB session by copy-pasting a string of text to the MATLAB console
* more descriptive error messages in exceptions
* compatibility with OSGi classloaders
* fixed all compiler warnings
* fixed several tricky bugs which were found by FindBugs
I'm happy to accept any GitHub Issues or Pull-Requests, and I'll be keeping it up-to-date and tested.