sounds useful but I couldnt use it.
please consider the fact that not everyone here is advanced in MATLAB. How should we pass the inputs to this widget inside our code?
what is 'parent'? how should the 'data' be defined?
I was planning on doing something similar based on Google Finance's example, but with your submission there's really no need. An altogether excellent submission and a fine example of Matlab OOP.
A few suggestions:
1) uiHistory works on R2008a (Matlab 7.6) onward. You might consider some coding changes for it to work on R2007b and earlier: 'private' instead of private (and so on for other modifiers); not inheriting hgsetget etc.
2) You might consider modifying the cursor over the handle bars to right-left arrows (see my ScrollPlot submission for example)
3) You might consider setting the central patch (between the handle bars) draggable, so that the user can interactively pan the zoomed contents (again, see ScrollPlot for example)
4) You might consider enabling the two edit-boxes, so that users can enter specific dates.
5) You might consider adding a shading between the zoom patch below and the displayed graph above, just like in your screenshot. For some reason I don't see this on my R2008a/b.
6) You might consider adding to the main graph axes annual grid-lines (like in the zoom axes below) and tick labels (so that we know what event happened when)
7) Finally, I would suggest displaying the figure toolbar, or at least enable data-cursor mode (whose callback should be modified to display a human-readable date).