Matrix Multiplication by a vector of Ones - How to write mathematically

12 views (last 30 days)
During my calculations I come at a point where I multiply say 9x9 matrix by a column vector containing ONEs of size 9x1. Definitely, it returns me a vector of 9x1 with all columns summed into single element.
What is such process called mathematically and how to write it in notation?
I will grateful for the help.
Best regards, Rehan

Answers (2)

John D'Errico
John D'Errico on 1 Jun 2017
What is it called? A sum.
help sum
Or if you insist on doing it as a multiply, then
help ones
help mtimes

Christoph F.
Christoph F. on 1 Jun 2017
That is just a regular matrix multiplication, with the second "matrix" having only one column.
  1 Comment
Rehan Rehan
Rehan Rehan on 1 Jun 2017
Thanks for the reply.
Of course, that is how it is performed but my question was from matrix algebra point of view. In case there exists a "name" of such operation or any evidence where it is utilized.

Sign in to comment.


Find more on Multidimensional Arrays in Help Center and File Exchange

Community Treasure Hunt

Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!

Start Hunting!