Updated 30 Aug 2023
Created with R2022b. Compatible with R2022b and later releases.
This curriculum module teaches the fundamental concepts of robotic manipulators (robot arms) using interactive live scripts. Topics in this module cover point translations/rotations, transformation matrices, and DH parameters. Learn and explore how to make a robotic arm move!
These modules connect the theory and application of the specific subject, which will support various student learning objectives. These lessons can be used as part of a lecture to supplement learning, as activities in an instructional setting, or as interactive assignments to be completed outside class.
Get started with the Robotic Manipulators interactive examples
Option 1: Download to Desktop Download and unzip the repository. Then, double-click the RoboticManipulators.prj file inside MATLAB®.
Option 2: Open in MATLAB Online Log in to your MathWorks account to access your license. If you are associated with a university, use your university email to access a license.
- From there, you can follow the landing page instructions to get started with the examples.
- The instructions inside the live scripts will guide you through the exercises and activities.
- Get started with each live script by running it one section at a time.
- To stop running the script or a section midway (for example, if a loop is running longer than intended), click the Stop button in the RUN section of the Live Editor tab in the MATLAB Toolstrip.
Prerequisite Domain Knowledge
These scripts assume some familiarity with basic linear algebra and coordinate systems. It is possible to work through this module without extensive experience in MATLAB and Simulink.
Navigation.mlx This script brings together links and short descriptions of the content in the recommended order of use.
A script that introduces the fundamental mathematics behind robotic movement.
In this script, students will...
- Explore the importance of coordinate frames
- Learn the utility of translation and rotation matrices
- Apply transformation matrices to move between coordinate frames
A script that introduces widely used parameters in mechanical engineering to attach coordinate frames to rigid bodies.
In this script, students will...
- Define DH Parameters
- Create a transformation matrix with DH parameters
- Construct a robot frame with DH parameters
The suggested prework detailed below is a complementary interactive online course available for all to use with a valid MathWorks account.
- MATLAB Onramp – Get started quickly with the basics of MATLAB.
MATLAB®, Robotics System Toolbox™
The license for this module is available in the LICENSE.md file in this GitHub repository.
A special thanks to Dhruv Chandel and Jennifer Gago Munoz (both of The MathWorks, Inc.) for developing the core content used to build these interactive educational robotics modules.
Copyright 2022-2023 The MathWorks, Inc.
Chad Allie (2023). Robotic-Manipulators (https://github.com/MathWorks-Teaching-Resources/Robotic-Manipulators/releases/tag/v1.0.1), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
See release notes for this release on GitHub: https://github.com/MathWorks-Teaching-Resources/Robotic-Manipulators/releases/tag/v1.0.1