PIVlab - particle image velocimetry (PIV) tool with GUI
Updated 16 Nov 2022
PIVlab is a GUI based particle image velocimetry (PIV) software. It does not only calculate the velocity distribution within particle image pairs, but can also be used to derive, display and export multiple parameters of the flow pattern. A user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI) with the ability to control a PIV camera and a laser makes PIV data acquisition and data post-processing fast and efficient.
PIVlab comes with it's own unique hardware: Pulsed lasers, LEDs, synchronizers and cameras are available here: Optolution.com
Video tutorial 1/3: Quickstart guide https://youtube.com/watch?v=g2hcTRAzBvY
Video tutorial 2/3: Pre-processing, analysis and data validation https://youtube.com/watch?v=15RTs_USHFk
Video tutorial 3/3: Data exploration and data export https://youtube.com/watch?v=47NCB_RFiE8
Using PIVlab for PIV experiments: Hardware control https://youtu.be/54lOx2s2uBU
Please ask your questions in the PIVlab forum: http://pivlab.blogspot.de/p/forum.html
Software documentation is available in the wiki: https://github.com/Shrediquette/PIVlab/wiki
- Main: William Thielicke (http://william.thielicke.org)
- Vectorization in piv_fftmulti: Sergey Filatov (http://www.issp.ac.ru/lqc/people.html)
- GUI parallelization: Chun-Sheng Wang, ParaPIV (https://de.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/63358-parapiv)
- Command line parallelization: Quynh M. Nguyen (https://github.com/quynhneo)
- Speed, memory and general optimizations: Maarten (https://github.com/mkbosmans) via VORtech.nl via MathWorks
- Several donations to update Matlab licenses
We would like to acknowledge Uri Shavit, Roi Gurka & Alex Liberzon for sharing their code for 3-point Gaussian sub-pixel estimation. Thanks to Nima Bigdely Shamlo for allowing me to include the LIC function. Thanks to Raffel et al. for writing the book "Particle Image Velocimetry, A Practical Guide", which was a very good help. Thanks to the thousands of publications that use PIVlab for research!
Thielicke, William, and René Sonntag. “Particle Image Velocimetry for MATLAB: Accuracy and Enhanced Algorithms in PIVlab.” Journal of Open Research Software, vol. 9, Ubiquity Press, Ltd., 2021, doi:10.5334/jors.334.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!