This set of Matlab functions fixes some methods of the table() class and extends it with additional features.
Unzip the archive;
With Matlab, cd into the unzipped folder
WARNING: requires write permissions to `matlabroot/toolbox/matlab/datatypes/@table`. It overwrites some table methods, listed below, with fixed/enhanced versions. The old table() methods are backed up in its private subfolder and their name is suffixed with Old, e.g. disp.m becomes dispOld.m.
List of features
* disp() - implements a buffered version of the native display method. Now, your pc will not freeze until the dawn of time if you forget a ; in the command window after t = table(1e7,1), which is only a 76 MB variable;
* unstack() - significantly speeds up the native method with a minimalistic change between lines 240 and 250 (original code left commented out);
* varfun() - adds a Name/Value pair to the original method, i.e. 'RenameVariables' - false/true(default). Does not force you to change the variable names as the native version;
* renameVarNames() - new method that renames variable names;
* convertColumn() - new method that changes the class of each column (variable);
* classVarName - new method that returns the class name of each column (variable).
The following functions do not get copied over to the native @table folder and serve as general purpose utilities for the new table methods.
* isrowchar() - Determines whether input is a string (1 by N char);
* in() - Test for inclusion, i.e. ,[),(] or (), within some bounds;
* xstr2num() - Converts the digit-part from an 'xNumber' to a numeric type. Especially useful to quickly recover the original values after unstacking a table, i.e. x32443 becomes 32443.
For detailed descriptions, syntax and examples, see the help within each .m file.
minor update to description
Edited description. Complete change of the installation process
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.