For a more robust and time-efficient Matlab implementation, see https://se.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/68632-wind-field-simulation-the-fast-version.
A method to simulate spatially correlated turbulent wind histories is implemented following [1,2]. Two possible vertical wind profiles and two possible wind spectra are implemented. The user is free to implement new ones. The wind co-coherence is a simple exponential decay as done by Davenport . If the wind field is simulated in a grid, the function windSim.m should be used (cf. Examples 1 and 2). For a more complex geometry, such as a radial grid, the function windSim.m has an optional parameter to include two inputs (cf. Example3.mlx): The first one contains the wind properties, and the second one contains the coordinates of the nodes where wind histories are simulated (cf. Example 3).
The folder windSim.zip contains:
- 1 input file INPUT.txt for Example1.m
- 1 input file INPUT_MAST.txt for Example2.m
- 2 input files windData.txt and circle.txt for Example3.m
- The function windSim.m
- 4 examples files Example1.m, Example2.m, Example3.m and Example4.m
- The function coherence.m that computes the co-coherence. Notes:
- Simulating the wind field in a high number of points with a high sampling frequency may take a lot of time.
- This code aims to be highly customizable
- A faster version of the present submission has been used to simulate the turbulent wind load on a floating suspension bridge .
 Shinozuka, M., Monte Carlo solution of structural dynamics, Computers and Structures, Vol. 2, 1972, pp. 855 – 874
 Deodatis, G., Simulation of ergodic multivariate stochastic processes, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 122 No. 8, 1996, pp. 778 – 787.
 Davenport, A. G. (1961), The spectrum of horizontal gustiness near the ground in high winds. Q.J.R. Meteorol. Soc., 87: 194–211
 Wang, J., Cheynet, E., Snæbjörnsson, J. Þ., & Jakobsen, J. B. (2018). Coupled aerodynamic and hydrodynamic response of a long span bridge suspended from floating towers. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 177, 19-31.
Cheynet, E. Wind Field Simulation (Text-Based Input). Zenodo, 2020, doi:10.5281/ZENODO.3823864.
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!