Create a custom template for a MATLAB function with nicely formatted documentation.
Optional arguments include (for each, default values can be easily modified at top of function code):
- # of necessary arguments
- # of optional arguments (i.e., VARARGIN) [parsed as 'name', value pairs - see below for more info]
- # of output arguments
- description of function to include at top of help doc
- width of section dividers
- author name and author email for automatically generated COPYRIGHT section
- flag to include EXAMPLE section in documentation
- flag to include CREDITS section in documentation
- output directory for created m-file
- flag to open m-file in default editor after creation
When optional arguments are specified, NEWFUNC will automatically create a cell array at the beginning of the code for defining the default values of optional arguments, and will add the File Exchange contribution SETARGS to the created m-file as a subfunction. SETARGS is then called to parse VARARGIN to determine which default values to override.
Finally, by default NEWFUNC will always add a subfunction called MFILE_SHOWHELP to the created m-file. This is a utility that prints the help doc for the m-file to the command window when the function is called without any arguments.
Bob Spunt (2024). NEWFUNC | Create a new MATLAB function using a customizable template (https://github.com/spunt/newfunc), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Versions that use the GitHub default branch cannot be downloaded