Real-Time Innovations (RTI) is the largest software framework provider for Autonomous and Distributed Systems. RTI Connext® is a product suite based on the Data Distribution Service (DDS) standard, that enables applications to securely share information in real time and work as one integrated system. RTI Connext provides a comprehensive software library, a set of development and monitoring tools, and many infrastructure services that support use cases, such as data record and replay, connect systems across wide area networks, bridge to other protocols, and integrate with cloud systems environments.
The MathWorks DDS Blockset application is fully integrated with RTI Connext for easy development of Simulink® applications that can be distributed on a network using DDS for communication. DDS Blockset provides engineers with DDS custom blocks to model DDS communication between Simulink and pure DDS applications without custom coding. System designers and application developers can incorporate RTI Connext into their Simulink designs as virtual components, ready to connect to other Simulink and non-Simulink components through the DDS databus. Users can generate code from Simulink models and deploy their models integrated with RTI Connext.
Installing and Using RTI Connext for New Users
If you do not have an existing RTI Connext installation, the RTI toolbox provides the necessary RTI Connext components under a short-term evaluation license for use only within MATLAB®. See the RTI Software License Agreement for more details. After installing the toolbox, you may apply for a free, longer-term license to RTI Connext here.
The RTI toolbox integrates a full version of RTI Connext, including tools and infrastructure services to allow you to debug and optimize your DDS system. You can find all these different applications in RTI Launcher. You can run RTI Launcher using the desktop shortcut that will be created when configuring the RTI Connext for DDS Blockset Toolbox or by running the following function in MATLAB:
Installing and Using RTI Connext for existing RTI Users
If you already have an installation of RTI Connext Professional, you don’t need to install this toolbox, but you will need to define the NDDSHOME environment variable.
The NDDSHOME environment variable can be defined one of two ways:
(1) Define NDDSHOME at the OS level before running MATLAB,
(2) Inside MATLAB by calling setenv(). The NDDSHOME environment should point to the RTI Connext Professional installation path. You can find the default paths here.
If you use the second approach you should also modify your startup.m file so NDDSHOME is properly set each time you re-start MATLAB:
2.1 Open the user startup.m file
2.2 Set NDDSHOME environment variable pointing to the RTI Connext Professional installation directory. This example shows the default path for Windows systems:
setenv("NDDSHOME", "C:\Program Files\rti_connext_dds-6.0.1")
Your existing RTI Connext Professional installation contains all the tools and infrastructure services you need to debug and optimize your DDS system. You can find all these different applications in RTI Launcher.
You can run RTI Launcher in your “applications” menu, or using the desktop shortcut that should have been created when you installed RTI Connext, or by executing the rtilauncher command directly. The rtilauncher command is located in the bin directory under the RTI Connext Professional installation directory. For example, "C:\Program Files\rti_connext_dds-6.0.1\bin\rtilauncher".
RTI Connext DDS Professional features:
- Fundamental communication pattern optimization in intelligent distributed systems including data-centric publish-subscribe, request-reply and queuing.
- Fully compliant with the OMG® DDS for Real-Time Systems standard, including the DDS API and network interoperability protocol (DDSI-RTPS).
- Superior performance for distributed applications through features such as zero-copy, Flat Data and data batching.
- Routing Service for simplified bridging between data domains.
- Recording Service to record and replay activity on the databus.
- Monitoring and debugging tools to speed application development and deployment.
Data and network-level security. Authentication, Access Control, Integrity, message-level encryption, and data-level encryption (requires RTI Connext Secure).
- Rich portfolio of tools that help to ease the configuration process, manage the complexity of building large systems and administer the system.
- Unity® game engine support to rapidly create a visualization of real-time data.
Operating System Support
- Windows® systems
- Linux® systems
- MacOS® systems
Visit community.rti.com/ for examples and support. To request information regarding commercial project licensing, please email SIMULINK@RTI.COM.