Problem: Unable to install MinGW through Add-on Explorer in Matlab R2017a (fresh install of Matlab and Windows7).
In my case, the description above was causing some misunderstanding because these steps deviated slightly from the actual required workflow.
FOR ME THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED after doing the following procedure:
1. Try to install through 'Get Add-ons' in Matlab 2017a
2. Resulted in a Download error: There was a problem downloading the third-party software. To resolve this issue, contact Technical Support
3. Downloaded all files as described by Mathworks support team: https://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/313286-why-do-i-see-a-java-util-zip-zipexception-error-in-my-installer-log-file-when-i-try-to-install-the
4. It is stated that the installation process has already created some folders in: “C:\Users\_<username>_\Downloads\MathWorks\SupportPackages\R2016b\archives\3p\<name_of_archive>\”
However, these folders did not exist in my case. On the contrary, some zip-folders are created in a different location; "C:\Users\_<username>_\Downloads\MathWorks\SupportPackages\R2017a\archives\win64\3p" The folder naming of these folders does comply the description as stated before; "The name_of_archive would be one of the following and where xxxxxxxxxx is a string containing numbers.e.g.: tdm_MinGW64runtime.instrset_win64_xxxxxxxxxx"
So I decided to use the names of these zip-folder in the following steps
5. I created a new 3p folder in "C:\Users\_<username>_\Downloads\MathWorks\SupportPackages\R2016b\archives\" and created 5 new folder inside 3p that have the same name as the zip-folder in "C:\Users\_<username>_\Downloads\MathWorks\SupportPackages\R2017a\archives\win64\3p"
6. Then I placed the 5 archive folders from point 3 in their corresponding folder:
binutils-2.24.51-20140703-tdm64-1 --> copy to archives\3p\tdm_mingwbinutils.instrset_win64_1487954571
gcc-4.9.2-tdm64-1-c++ --> copy to archives\3p\tdm_mingwcpp.instrset_win64_1487954573
gcc-4.9.2-tdm64-1-core --> copy to archives\3p\tdm_mingwgcc.instrset_win64_1487954592
gdb-7.8.1-tdm64-3 --> copy to archives\3p\tdm_mingwdebugger.instrset_win64_1487954574
mingw64runtime-v3-git20141130-gcc49-tdm64-1 --> copy to archives\3p\tdm_mingw64runtime.instrset_win64_1487954589
7. Retry to install through the Add-on Explorer
I hope this helps you to solve the problem.