Answered my own question. The Matlab Installer does not launch in the Gnome Desktop environment on Fedora 30, so you must use another Desktop Environment. Once it is installed, you may launch matlab directly from Gnome.
I found that the installer works in the xfce desktop environment. In order to installl xfce, I did the following:
- Install requirements and Xfce
sudo dnf install libxcrypt-compat libnsl
sudo dnf groupinstall -y "Xfce Desktop"
2. Restart computer
3. In window to enter password, click the settings logo below password bar and select to boot into Xcfe
3. Go to .../matlab-installation-directory and run install
4. Follow install wizard as normal.
5. Remove Xfce Desktop Environment
sudo dnf groupremove -y "Xfce"
sudo dnf remove -y libxfce4*