Why does MATLAB crash on startup on Windows when logging into a machine with a roaming profile or profile redirection?
341 views (last 30 days)
It is believed that this issue is due to domain permissions on the profile directory. Some users have reported that regenerating the profile resolves this issue. As a workaround you can try the following:
To resolve this issue you can redirect the MATLAB preferences directory. To do so, you will need to set an environment variable, MATLAB_PREFDIR to a different location. MATLAB_PREFDIR can be set with the following steps:
1) Go to your Start menu to Control Panel.
2) Under Control Panel, select System.
3) In the System Properties window, select the Advanced tab.
4) On the Advanced Tab, click the button for Environment variables
5) If this is a shared machine, click the "New" button under System variables. If the machine is not shared, click the "New" button under User variables.
6) In the variable field, enter "MATLAB_PREFDIR" (without the quotes)
7) In the variable value field, enter the path that you wish to store the preferences. EX: C:\MATLAB_preferences
8) Press OK three times to set the variable
Once set, the preferences will be redirected to the new location and you should be able to start MATLAB. If you are still having an issue starting MATLAB, contact Installation support here:
More Answers (1)
Robert Spring on 8 Mar 2021
MATLAB will not start. I was using MATLAB R2020a yesterday and it worked fine. Today it will not start. I installed R02.0b and it will not start. I created the environment variable MATLAB_PREFDIR and tried again. MATLAB created the folder but still does not start.