There are multiple reasons why you might be receiving this error:
- The product is not licensed
- Formatting error within the license file
- Server and Client Mismatch
The product is not licensed
This message usually indicates that you are trying to use a product for which you are not licensed. To verify if the product is licensed, you may inspect the license file (license.lic) located within your MATLAB installation to see if you are licensed to use this product.
To determine where your license file is located, please refer to the following article:
NOTE: If you only have a network.lic file, instead of a license.lic file, you are using a network license. In this case contact your license administrator to check the license.dat file on the License Manager server machine.
Formatting error within the license file
If you are licensed for this product, this error may be the result of formatting problems in your license file. In order to avoid this, ensure that the following strings all begin on a left justified line: #, SERVER, DAEMON, or INCREMENT. Sometimes an INCREMENT line can get wrapped on the end of the preceding INCREMENT line causing it to be omitted.
For Individual or Designated Computer licenses, you can also simply re-activate MATLAB on this system. That will automatically update the license file on your system.
Server and Client Mismatch
If the License Manager Error -5 appears in an UNSUPPORTED line in a License Manager Log file and the hash code quoted in log line does not match the hash from the INCREMENT line from the current license file on the server, the client machine either:
- Has an old license file on the MATLAB license path containing INCREMENT lines from a previous license. The old license file(s) should be removed
- Has INCREMENT lines in the network.lic file. The affected user should remove all INCREMENT lines from the network.lic
- Has an old MATLAB process running on their machine that was running while the license file on the server was updated. The user should kill the process to resolve the error