Matlab FLOW (FLOcking Walkers) toolbox
Updated 7 Oct 2013
The Matlab FLOW (FLOcking Walkers) toolbox has been created to facilitate experimentation with groups of "actors" who move (in the two-dimensional plane or in the three-dimensional space) interacting with each other.
The Matlab File Exchange FLOW distribution consists of a single file: FLOW2DMatlab.zip. But THIS IS NOT THE COMPLETE DISTRIBUTION!!! Because of size limitations on the File Exchange, we only include the Matlab 2D simulator code. This will work fine by itself, but it does not include either the 3D Viewer or the 3D simulator. To get these, go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/matlabflockingwalkersflow/files/?source=navbar and download the following files.
1. FLOW2D.zip is the 2D simulator and related files.
2. FLOW2DVis.zip contains the viewer for the 2D simulator and related files.
3. FLOW3D.zip contains the 3D simulator and related files.
4. FLOW2DQuickStart.pdf is the QuickStart file.
5. Readme.txt (this file)
We believe it is worth downloading the 3D viewer. To get some motivation, you can look at the VIDEOS we have uploaded on YouTube, for example:
At any rate, you can get started just with the 2D simulator. It has been tested and works on Windows (XP, 7, 8) with Matlab 2009b or higher; it should work (but we have not tested it) on Linux and Mac systems as well.
To install FLOW:
1. Create a root folder (the following discussion assumes that your root folder is C:\FLOW.)
2. Place in C:\FLOW the file FLOW2D.zip and unzip it; you will get a subfolder C:\FLOW\FLOW2D;
3. If you have downloaded FLOW2DVis.zip and FLOW3D.zip from SourceForge, similarly unzip them in FLOW.
To start using FLOW:
1. Start Matlab.
2.1 To use the the 2D simulator, go to C:\FLOW\FLOW2D and, in the command line, type PathSet (to run the PathSet.m script).
2.2 You are ready to go. Type FLOWDemo (to run the FLOWDemo.m script).
2.3 For more details read FLOW2DQuickStart.pdf and for even more details FLOW2DManual.pdf.
3. Similarly, to use the the 3D simulator, go to C:\FLOW\FLOW3D, type PathSet and run FLOWDemo31.m.
Ath. Kehagias (firstname.lastname@example.org) + L. Eleftheriou (email@example.com)
Faculty of Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE
Athanasios Kehagias (2023). Matlab FLOW (FLOcking Walkers) toolbox (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/43810-matlab-flow-flocking-walkers-toolbox), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.