Scene Classification Using Deep Learning
Updated 12 Nov 2019
The main goal of this example is to demonstrate the use of the MATLAB functionality for scene classification solution using a subset of the MIT Places dataset and a pretrained model, Places365GoogLeNet.
The code is structured in four parts:
- In "Part 1", we build a simple CNN from scratch, train it, and evaluate it.
- In "Part 2", we use a pretrained model, Places365GoogLeNet, "as is".
- In "Part 3", we follow a transfer learning approach that demonstrates some of the latest features and best practices for image classification using transfer learning in MATLAB.
- Finally, in "Part 4", we employ image data augmentation techniques to see whether they lead to improved results.
This example should be easy to modify and expand to the user's needs.
- The dataset used in this example (a subset of the Places365-Standard dataset) can be found at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/addp3xkw1g0ua7v/MITPlaces.zip?dl=0
- Companion blog post appearing soon at: https://blogs.mathworks.com/deep-learning/
Oge Marques (2023). Scene Classification Using Deep Learning (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/73333-scene-classification-using-deep-learning), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.