Structural Dynamics Toolbox (SDT) enhances MATLAB®core capabilities in controls and signal processing through extensions.
Finite element modeling provided by the toolbox:
- An extensive preprocessor/postprocessor for mesh building and manipulations, and 3D model visualization with animation
- A general purpose finite element library for multiphysics problems: mechanics (beams, shells, volumes), acoustics, and thermal
- Solvers for linear and nonlinear statics and transients, eigenvalue, and frequency domain solutions (compiled MEX utilities allow the parallel assembly and factoring of large problems with millions of DOFs)
- Through the FEMLink extension, bidirectional translations of models from NASTRAN, ANSYS, ABAQUS, and SAMCEF
- Model reduction techniques for state-space model building, resulting in easy communication with Control System Toolbox™ and Simulink®, as well as superelement modeling within SDT
- A special set of functions for the FEM modeling of piezoelectric sensors and actuators used in active control and SHM applications
Experimental modal analysis and test analysis correlation:
- Interfaces with data acquisition systems through universal files and sample scripts
- Integrated identification methodology (adapted for tests with many modes, such as MIMO, FRFs, and large numbers of sensors)
- Extensive capabilities for 3D animation of test results, handling of general sensor configurations (mixed triaxial and nontriaxial measurements in nonglobal directions, laser vibrometer, and so forth)
- Computation of MAC, MACCo, and modeshape expansion, and handling of parameterized full-order and reduced-order models used in FEM model updating and optimization
- Links to state-space models used in control applications
Most functions in SDT are open ASCII MATLAB code files that are easily combined and extended to suit end-user requirements. SDTools also provides consulting services for applications using the toolbox, which can be packaged and transmitted as customer owned, integrated simulation tools. Sample applications developed for customers are pantograph-catenary simulation, brake squeal simulation, and viscoelastic damping design.