To install and activate MATLAB on a machine that has access to the Internet, you need access to a MATLAB license and a copy of the MathWorks installer.
If you have access to a MATLAB license, either you will have the 25-digit activation key for the license, or you will be able to see your MATLAB license on the MathWorks License Center.
If you are installing MATLAB on a client machine using a network license, please refer to the following article:
R2020a and newer:
- Download the MathWorks Installer from the MathWorks website.
- Start the Installer. On the first screen, you will be prompted to sign into your MathWorks Account. Enter your MathWorks account credentials, then select Sign In. If you do not have an account, select Create Account. If you receive a connection error, see the Related Solution, Why do I get a Connection error when installing or activating MATLAB or another MathWorks products?
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to either select a license or enter an Activation Key. If one or more license numbers are listed, select the license number you would like to install, then click Next. If you have an Activation Key, and you do not see the desired license number listed, select the radio button for "Enter Activation Key," enter the Activation Key, then click Next.
- (For Individual licenses only) Individual licenses will prompt you to confirm the user. For Individual licenses, only one user may use the license. Enter the Licensed End User's first name, last name, and email. You will also be prompted for the computer user name (login name). This will be automatically filled in with the user name of the user currently logged in. You may change the user name by selecting the pencil icon (only recommended if the software will be running on a different user account). Click Next to continue.
- Select the destination folder, then click Next. The installer displays the recommended destination location.
- Select the products you wish to install, then click Next.
- Select installation options, then click Next.
- Confirm the selecting information, then select Begin install.
R2019b and older:
- Download the MathWorks Installer for the required release from the MathWorks website.
- Start the installer. On the first screen, choose the first option, “Log in with a MathWorks Account” and click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next. If you receive a connection error, see the Related Solution, Why do I get a Connection error when installing or activating MATLAB or another MathWorks products?
- On the next screen, you will be asked to log in to your MathWorks Account or create one if you don’t have one. If you have an account, enter your MathWorks credentials, then click Next. If you do not know your account password, click the “Forgot your password” link. If you do not have an account, choose accordingly.
- Choose if you wish to install or only download the software.
- Next, you will need to indicate the license for which you wish to install MathWorks products. If you have logged into your MathWorks Account, from the list of licenses, select the license number you would like to install and click Next. If your MathWorks Account is not linked to the license, click “Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed”, and enter the Activation Key and click Next. If you elected to create a MathWorks account in Step 3, you will be asked for an Activation Key.
- Choose an installation folder. The installer displays the recommended default location.
- Select the products you wish to install and click Next.
- Confirm all other installation options and proceed with the installation.
- After the file copy process is complete, verify the options on the file associations screen when prompted.
- Installation is now complete. When prompted, continue to the Activation stage by clicking Next.
Activation: After the installation, confirm the activation of the software on the computer.
Individual only: A Licensed End User must be specified in order to complete the activation. If you are the Licensed End User, choose “I will use the software” and confirm the user name (login name), which is automatically filled in with the name of the user currently logged in. If you would like to designate someone else as the end user, click “Someone Else” and enter their name, email, and Computer username. To conclude the activation process, review the activation details and click Activate.
A video walk-through of how to install MATLAB R2019b and older can be found in this link: