To install and activate MATLAB on a machine that has access to the Internet, you need access to a MATLAB license and a copy of the MATLAB installer.
If you have access to a MATLAB license, either you will have the 25-digit activation key for the license, or you will be able to see your MATLAB license on the MathWorks License Center.
- Start the installer. On the first screen, choose the first option, “Log in with a MathWorks Account” and click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next. If you receive a connection error, see the Related Solution “Why do I get a connection error when installing or activating MATLAB?”
- On the next screen, you will be asked to log in to your MathWorks Account or create one if you don’t have one. If you have an account, enter your email address and MathWorks account password, and click Next. If you do not know your account password, click the “Forgot your password” link. If you do not have an account, choose accordingly.
- Choose if you wish to install or only download the software.
- Next, you will need to indicate the license for which you wish to install MathWorks products. If you have logged into your MathWorks Account, from the list of licenses, select the license number you would like to install and click Next. If you are installing a license to which you are not yet associated, click “Enter an Activation Key for a license not listed”, and enter the Activation Key and click Next. If you elected to create a MathWorks account in Step 3, you will be asked for an Activation Key.
- Choose an installation folder. The installer displays the recommended default location.
- Select the products you wish to install and click Next.
- Confirm all other installation options and proceed with the installation.
- After the file copy process is complete, verify the options on the file associations screen when prompted.
- Installation is now complete. When prompted, continue to the Activation stage by clicking Next.
Activation: After the installation, confirm the activation of the software on the computer.
Individual only: A Licensed End User must be specified in order to complete the activation. If you are the Licensed End User, choose “I will use the software” and confirm the Login Name, which is automatically filled in with the name of the user currently logged in. If you would like to designate someone else as the end user, click “Someone Else” and enter their name, email, and Computer Login Name. Click Next to continue.
Next, review the activation details and click Activate. This concludes the activation process.
If you were unable to activate MATLAB due to a connection error, see the following article: