It is possible to deactivate MATLAB even if you do not have the deactivation string, or access to the machine in question at all. This is done on the MathWorks License Center.
To deactivate MATLAB from the MathWorks License Center
- Go to the MathWorks License Center.
- Select the license you want to deactivate.
- Select the "Install and Activate" tab.
- Under the last column, "Deactivate," click the blue X in the row of the activation you wish to deactivate.
At this point, the process differs depending on the activation's validation status.
If validation is current
- Confirm the deactivation by clicking "Deactivate."
If validation is overdue or disabled
- Enter the deactivation string, if you have it. Follow the instructions on screen to obtain it if you do not.
If you cannot obtain the deactivation string
- Click the "Manual Deactivation agreement" above the buttons near the bottom of the form.
- Answer the two questions on the page.
- Type your name to confirm that you cannot retrieve the deactivation string.
- Click "Submit Agreement to Deactivate Software" to complete the deactivation process.