Fun
Follow

Jim Riggs

Is Walter Roberson a real person, or is he some kind of Matlab AI robot?

Jim Riggs on 28 May 2019
Latest activity Edit by Stephen23 on 4 Mar 2024

Just curious!
Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 15 Aug 2020
Sounds reasonable Adam. Perhaps you could join the covid-19 modeling groups, thereby raising their mean IQ substantially and improving forecasts.
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 15 Aug 2020
@Adam Danz, It shows you that over-thinking is not a good thing.:)
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 15 Aug 2020
Fangjun only specified the date so the default time would be midnight making his guess only 12 hours off (UCT time). I was the only other one to make a guess and I based it on simple linear regression where the slope was estimated by your recent 7-day and 30-day numbers which resulted in today (1 day later) at 1:39pm UTC (4:39pm Central), .
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 14 Aug 2020
About 7:06 am central by the way.
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 14 Aug 2020
Congratulations to Walter! An impossible feast!
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 14 Aug 2020
@Fangjun Jiang nailed it!
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 12 Aug 2020
Ha! I wouldn't doubt there are people who want to be the 100,000th point-giver. Unfortunately I already placed my bet using a simple linear regression and that factor was not in my model.
Rik
Rik on 11 Aug 2020
So now the question is whether we will see a bump in the rep gain because of someone trying to pull the date forward. XD
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 11 Aug 2020
Can't access Google Form from work. I vote for 8/14/2020.
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 11 Aug 2020
Heh. Any of you could vote for "today" and then go and vote for a bunch of my postings ;-)
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 11 Aug 2020
Let's make predicitions when Walter Roberson will hit the 100k mark
The winner will be recognized as the most precise predictor and will (probably not) be awarded the "100k point predictor" badge in their profile.
Make your prediction of the date and time (UTC) that WR will cross the 100k reputation point mark here in this Google Form.
Error will be weighted exponentially so that earlier votes result in reduced error relative to later votes. Specifically, the absolute value of the error in days (floating point) will be multiplied by e^(-d) where d is the number of days between the timestamp of your guess and the time stamp of WR's 100,000th point.
I'll share results afterward.
madhan ravi
madhan ravi on 11 Aug 2020
It’s a piece of cake for the GOAT xD, with the current pace 2-4 weeks from now.
Rik
Rik on 11 Aug 2020
The new question is this:
In October 2016 he had 50k rep. Back then the average rate was a point per hour. Now he is nearing the 100k mark. Will he get there before October? And if he keeps this up, will he be progressively faster?
M.S. Khan
M.S. Khan on 4 Aug 2019
Mathworks community is outstanding plateform of science and all are performing like a team but some are Leaders like Mr. Walter Roberson. He has dedicated his most of the time to serve and help the research of the whole world.
Winning teams always have talented leaders or captans. All community members of Mathworks are just like stars and have equal contributions in promoting knwoledge and humanity all around the Globe.
Salute to all of them.
Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 4 Aug 2019
Yes, Walter is a real person. In fact at the Annual Meetings in June of this year, he received a highly prestigious MATLABBY Award. There was also another ceremony to celebrate his "Star" in the "Mathworks Walk of Fame". I'm including photos from the event below.
By the way, I'm also attaching the Photoshop files in case you'd like to make your own.
MATLABBY Award.png
MathWorks Walk of Fame Star.png
Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 21 Aug 2020
And there is a new award for people who attain 100,000 reputation points: The Roberson Cup.
Sachin Motwani
Sachin Motwani on 21 Aug 2020
Besides 'upvoting', we must have an option of 'claps' here.
Want to applaud you for this.
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 19 Feb 2020
@Luna, the trophy is modeled after an Emmy Award.
Luna
Luna on 19 Feb 2020
The award statue wears a dress also :)
KALYAN ACHARJYA
KALYAN ACHARJYA on 4 Aug 2019
Great!
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 4 Aug 2019
Unfortunately I could not attend the ceremony as I could not find an extension cord that was long enough. ?
KALYAN ACHARJYA
KALYAN ACHARJYA on 1 Aug 2019
May be he is a AI Robot, but his continous selfless help cetegories him as a great human being. Machine have limited programmed knowledge, but WR..oh god...
Truly a real great man with millions of helping hands.
Gratitude
Stephen23
Stephen23 on 29 May 2019 (Edited on 4 Mar 2024)
Walter <-> Watson Levenshtein distance = 4.
Roberson <-> Robot Levenshtein distance = 4.
nnz(mod(+'Walter',4)) = 4
Coincidence?
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 1 Aug 2019
Well, I do belong to the Watson clan...
Chen Lin
Chen Lin on 24 Jun 2019
I have decided to vote this answer based on creativity!
Jim Riggs
Jim Riggs on 29 May 2019
This is great!
I think you are definitely on to something.
[EDIT] I have decided to accept this answer based on creativity!
Bjorn Gustavsson
Bjorn Gustavsson on 29 May 2019
Well, I've seen signs that would be surprising in an AI robot - so my guess is actual human.
Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 28 May 2019
Of course it helps that he's on MATLAB's advisory board and gets some special things like the "Mind Reading Toolbox" and the "Crystal Ball Toolbox" that even we (other MVPs) don't have access to.
James Tursa
James Tursa on 28 May 2019
Blade Runner 2019 ...
Jim Riggs
Jim Riggs on 28 May 2019
I have been participating in this forum for about 18 months now, and I am realy impressed with all of you top contributors. You guys are fantastic!
Very knowlegeabe and you always keep it classy!
Just my way of saying thanks, I appreciate what you do for the Matlab answers forum.
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 28 May 2019
There are small windows of silence from WR that follow a circadian cycle suggesting periods of sleep which would be evidence that WR is human. But this could easily be built in to the AI robot as well.
WR, are you up for a Turing test?
Rik
Rik on 4 Jun 2019
I'm voting for a daily reboot instead of a sleep cycle as well ;)
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 29 May 2019
“Sir?” came a familiar voice Luke hadn’t heard in a while.
“What?” Luke was startled out of his examination.
“If you’ll not be needing me,” Threepio declared, “I think I’ll shut down for a bit. It will help the armature nerves to knit, and I’m due for some internal self-cleansing anyhow.”
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 28 May 2019
Ha Ha Ha, a good question! I would say a robot, but I bet Walter Roberson would say otherwise.
Adam Danz
Adam Danz on 28 May 2019
+1 for asking what we all wonder :D