Highlights
Follow

Poll is CLOSED

Poll

Which does NOT return sorted output for a vector of unique values (e.g., v = [3,7,2,5,1])?

sort(v)
8%
unique(v)
16%
union(v, [ ])
17%
intersect(v, v)
14%
setdiff(v, [ ])
12%
All return sorted output
33%
1193 votes

ganesh
ganesh on 1 Apr 2024 at 17:17
can you give solution oft these problrm
Rik
Rik on 2 Apr 2024 at 4:27

You can try all options yourself and/or read the documentation for each to find the correct answer.

the cyclist
the cyclist on 27 Mar 2024 (Edited on 27 Mar 2024)
@goc3 is definitely a unique sort of person.
Rik
Rik on 19 Mar 2024 (Edited on 19 Mar 2024)
I don't know about the other functions, but unique used to return the original order (which is probably why the 'stable' switch exists).
I also find it interesting to see the orientation that each of these functions return.
Christian Schröder
Christian Schröder on 20 Mar 2024
Once you know that unique returns sorted output, you can deduce that the last answer should be correct: it would not make sense for only one of the set functions to not return sorted output.
Rik
Rik on 21 Mar 2024
Does it? Because I would also expect the orientation of the resulting vectors to be the same for all set functions, and yet they are not. Can you predict without testing (or reading the documentation) which is the odd one out?
Dyuman Joshi
Dyuman Joshi on 22 Mar 2024 (Edited on 2 Apr 2024 at 4:51)
I find it weird that the legacy syntaxes of these (setdiff, intersect and union) mathematical functions are not the same.
Quite inconsistent.
Christian Schröder
Christian Schröder on 21 Mar 2024
Good point, that (orientation of the resulting vectors) is an inconsistency I can't explain. Then again, I only said "should be correct", not "is correct". ;)

See Also

Tags

No tags entered yet.