Philips Hue Matlab Driver
Updated 25 May 2020
This driver set consists mainly of the following items:
Communicate with a Philips Hue bridge to talk to the Hue personal wireless LED lights.
- Finds the Hue Bridge using https://www.meethue.com/api/nupnp
- Checks if user previously paired with bridge, if not a pairing procedure is started.
- Upon completed connection with the Hue-Bridge, user will get an appID, stored to a mat file userNameWQuotes.mat" for later use.
- Returns the url to the first found light attached to the bridge : urlLIGHT_State
- Communication with the Bridge to write is done via a ML central sumbmission, urlread2, by Jim Hokanson: https://nl.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/35693-urlread2
- By editing one switch internally, one can choose to work with a Hue Emulator instead of the real Hue Bridge. This helps debugging possible issues. It helped me tremendously.
get it here: http://steveyo.github.io/Hue-Emulator/
(2) set_Lamp_RGB(urlLIGHT_State, RGBint, GAMUT)
- Changes color of lamp using RGB triplet in [0..255].
- GAMUT: A,B,C: depends on what lamp you have, ref: https://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/supported-lights
- Makes use of other functions such as RGBint_2_xy_Philips_Hue
(3) set_Lamp_HSV(urlLIGHT_State, HSVpc, mode, GAMUT)
Changes color of lamp using HSV
- HSV = triplet in [0..360],[0..100],[0..100]
- mode = direct | convert
direct: ignores hw color mappings and maps hues linearly : 0-65535 onto [0-360]
convert: uses the provided GAMUT and resorts to set_Lamp_RGB, after internal conversion.
- GAMUT, only used in mode = convert
In the near future I will combine this with a color browser tool, earlier released, "colorStudioMax".
Massimo Ciacci (2023). Philips Hue Matlab Driver (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/63606-philips-hue-matlab-driver), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
- MATLAB > Graphics > Images > Convert Image Type >
Inspired by: urlread2
Inspired: colorStudioMax: ColorBrowser+dictionary, colorBlind correct
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!
Discover Live Editor
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.
url = 'https://www.meethue.com/api/nupnp'; became invalid, using new url:
List available lamps, and select the first one.
Changed errors to warnings with error-Codes
- Added check for Matlab version >= 2014b, and related error (webread was introduced in 2014b)
- Added screenshot