With MATLAB and Simulink, you can design smart and efficient energy management systems (EMS) by implementing dynamic policies, incorporating real-time data, and increasing the level of automation in EMS operations. You can use MATLAB and Simulink for your EMS development workflow, from data access and modeling to optimization and deployment.
- Create forecasting models on electricity demand and generation, electricity price, and weather conditions
- Model, simulate, and design optimal EMS control strategies for scheduling power systems and HVAC systems operations
- Generate code for supervisory controls on edge devices and deploy to embedded controllers
- Deploy operations optimization software to production cloud environments
With MATLAB and Simulink, you can perform data-driven forecasts on environmental and techno-economic factors to optimize operations of your building energy management system.
- Access time-series data from files or databases
- Perform data preprocessing, analysis, and visualization in MATLAB with interactive apps and workflow automations
- Choose from prebuilt statistical, econometric, or machine learning and deep learning models
- Train forecasting models in parallel and evaluate model performance
- Directly integrate the trained energy forecasting model in Simulink for simulation with the physical system model
You can use MATLAB and Simulink as a design environment for electrical system modeling, EMS control design, and EMS optimization.
- Create physics-based models of the building’s electrical system using Power Systems Simulation Onramp and run performance simulations
- Design control strategies, such as Model Predictive Control (MPC), for the EMS
- Formulate the optimization problem and solve for optimal system configurations using Optimization Toolbox
- Simulate system-level behavior with different scenarios
- Analyze the techno-economic impact of different system designs
- BuildingIQ Develops Proactive Algorithms for HVAC Energy Optimization in Large-Scale Buildings – Customer Story
- EVLO Energy Storage Accelerates Development of Energy Management Systems with Model-Based Design – Customer Story
- Analytics Engine and Digital Twin Reveal Buildings’ Hidden Energy Costs – Newsletter
You can validate your building EMS design by generating code from your system model, which lets you move quickly from desktop simulation to real-time simulation. You can deploy controls to the edge and operational management systems to the cloud.
- Generate readable, efficient C/C++ code from the controller model in Simulink for deployment on an embedded processor
- Generate C code for the plant for deployment on a real-time machine
- Run hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) simulations to validate the building energy management strategies against the electrical system
- Deploy supervisory control algorithms on edge devices
- Deploy operations optimization algorithms based on MATLAB to cloud environments using MATLAB Web App Server and MATLAB Production Server