- Go to the License Center: https://www.mathworks.com/licensecenter/licenses
- Log into your MathWorks Account if you are not already logged in
- Select your license number from the list. If you don't see your license, use the links in the upper left hand corner to toggle between Licenses, Trials, and Prereleases
- Select the "Install and Activate" tab
- If you don't see a list of activations on this page, click the "Activate to Retrieve License File" link under "Related Tasks" on the right side of the page.
- On the page titled "Activated Computers," click the blue "Activate a Computer" button on the right side of the page.
- Enter the required information to complete activation.
- Specify if the software is already installed on the machine. If you need to get a File Installation Key, select "No."
How do I generate a MATLAB license file?
609 views (last 30 days)
MathWorks Support Team on 26 Jun 2023
Edited: MathWorks Support Team on 26 Jun 2023
Option 1: Automatically creating a License File
In most cases, MATLAB will automatically activate itself during the installation process. For installation instructions, please see the link below.
However, in some cases you may need to generate a license file by manually entering your computer information into the MathWorks website. Please note that if you are installing MATLAB on an offline computer, you will need to obtain a complete set of installation files as well. For offline installation instructions, please see the link below.
How can I install MATLAB or other MathWorks products on an offline machine?
Option 2: Manually creating a License File
Note: Depending on what permissions have been granted to you, you may need a License Administrator to generate the file for you. This may be applicable if they have not given you permission to generate a license file.
You can use the MathWorks License Center to generate a license file and File Installation Key (FIK). You will need the Host ID of the computer where MATLAB will be installed. For Individual licenses, you will also need the computer User Name for the End User of MATLAB.
To obtain your Host ID, please see:
What is a Host ID? How do I find my Host ID in order to activate my license?
To obtain your username, please see:
How do I find my Login Name in order to activate my license?
Once you have your Host ID and username, you may follow these steps:
After activating, you will be provided with a License File, and if you clicked "No" on the previous screen, the File Installation Key.