In most cases, MATLAB will automatically activate itself during the installation process.
For installation instructions, please see:
However, in some cases you may need to generate a license file by manually entering your computer information into the MathWorks website.
Please note that if you are installing MATLAB on an offline computer, you will need to obtain a complete set of installation files.
For offline installation instructions, please see:
You can use the MathWorks License Center to generate a license file and File Installation Key (FIK).
You will need the Host ID of the computer where MATLAB will be installed.
For some license types, you will also need the computer username of the person that will use MATLAB.
To obtain your Host ID, please see:
To obtain your username, please see:
Once you have your Host ID and username:
- Go to the License Center: https://www.mathworks.com/licensecenter/licenses
- Log into your MathWorks Account if you are not already logged in
- Select your license number from the list. If you don't see your license, use the links in the upper left hand corner to toggle between Licenses, Trials, and Prereleases
- Select the "Install and Activate" tab
- If you don't see a list of activations on this page, click the "Activate to Retrieve License File" link under "Related Tasks" on the right side of the page.
- On the page titled "Activated Computers," click the blue "Activate a Computer" button on the right side of the page.
- Enter the required information to complete activation.
- Specify if the software is already installed on the machine. If you need to get a File Installation Key, select "No."
After activating, you will be provided with a License File, and if you clicked "No" on the previous screen, the File Installation Key.